Head of secret service admits that ISIS rise direct result of failed war in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by ScooterBrandon, Dec 1, 2015.

1. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Too little too late to express an opinion, but when in special forces the option to speak out is limited. I have to say the comments are off the wall and, in some ways, more interesting than the story. An aside, there is no "about" page for the website. I wonder how long it has been around and who is behind it.

3. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

"We" didn't already "know" that. You know, Douglas Murray made an interesting point recently where he said there's a self-centeredness about Americans, where if something goes wrong, they try to figure out how they had a hand in it. I'm not saying there's no linkage between Western intervention and the rise of terror, but these groups are also slaughtering people in South Asia, as well as their own people.

And the United States didn't write the Quran.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I don't think we did KNOW that for a fact, and even after this statement we still don't KNOW that for a fact. A lot of people are under that opinion and they'll also say that Gadaffi was more of a peace keeper in that region than the west thought, and they do have a point.

Especially with Gadaffi, he warned that without him in power, Libya and the surrounding countries would turn into a breeding ground for terrorists, and that does appear to have been the case.

But we don't know how things would have turned out if both Hussain and Gadaffi was still in power today, so it can only be speculative, and an educated guess at the best.

5. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well, it is obvious the invasion of Iraq was a mistake, as George Bush himself admitted. It destabilized the entire region. However, that is akin to crying over spilled milk what is done is done, all we can do now is cope with it. I hope with all of the major powers of the world pursuing them, that ISIS is on the run now.

6. turt

turt Guest

I don't think the war really made the group, it just made it easier for them to gain power.

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

We had it all under control until Obama pulled out in 2011 without a SOF Agreement. And yes, it wasn't the smartest thing to go in in the first place - particularly without taking control of the oil, and by forcing soldiers to fight "politically correct" wars with "rules of engagement" the enemy is not restrained by.

8. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

That's a bunch of baloney. They weren't there for that in the first place. Like anyone should believe what anyone in the secret service says.

9. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I doubt it had a direct result in creating ISIS but I do not doubt that all the instability in the region from the wars had a hand in the creation and the rise of the group. Forces were pulled out of there way too soon and that should have happened when there were clear signs things were on the mend. Even then, some sort of shadow or silhouette force should have remained.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Pardon me if I don't believe that revelation of the secret service head. ISIS is the biggest thing now and the way I see it, their jihad is getting to involve the whole world. When that Russian fighter jet was downed in Turkey, it is an offshot of their attack to ISIS. The migration of Syrians to European countries is also a side effect of ISIS. So what can the secret service head suggest to quell the rising of ISIS?