Health or technology

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by BudFox, Aug 17, 2014.

1. BudFox

BudFox Well-Known Member

If you had to pick a sector from these two, which would it?
    I see them both as growth areas due to aging populations everywhere and the increasing reliance on technology for gaining a market edge in industry so am looking for ideas and thoughts from other forumites.

2. turt

turt Guest

I would go into health care but it really depends on who you invest in. Technology is getting to the point where only the very biggest can lead the market unless someone comes up with a breakthrough. It costs billions of dollars to make a fab to make chips! We spend a lot more on Medical than we do technology in general too.

3. springbreeze

springbreeze Well-Known Member

Hard to choose. They are both great industries. But they also both have their own concerns.

Turt mentionned a valid concern for technology in the above post.

As for healthcare, many people today cannot afford to have medical insurance in the US. Obamacare may be changing that. I'm still waiting to see. But still as of now, people are going to the doctor less. They either don't have insurance or are trying to avoid high deductibles. So, even doctors are facing a decrease in salaries.

There's also the rise in alternative healing therapies like herbs and preventative medicine practices. Each person that turns away from traditional medicine means a decline in healthcare profits. But with all that, there's still money to be made. Prices are being raised. Deals are being made. Yada, yada, yada.

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

It's important to keep in mind that health insurance does NOT equal health care.