Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rosyrain, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

What are your thoughts of where we go when we die, if anywhere at all? In the Christian religion it is said we go to heaven or hell, but there is also the in between place for lost souls. What are your thoughts?

2. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

I haven't seen a shred of evidence to suggest these places actually exist.
    My thoughts are that we are just a collection of atoms organized in such a way to produce a conscious life form. When we die our "soul" dies and the atoms go back into the mix. It's a pretty straightforward and simple system.
    I understand the need for the idea of an afterlife, but I don't think they actually exist.

3. Maditri

Maditri New Member

No evidence to support? You're not looking hard enough. Even anti-Christian media have provided artifactual evidence of Jesus existence and scientific failures/attempts to disprove. Christianity isn't flawed. Christians are. None of us are perfect. The evidence is there if we wish to look beyond our "selves". Peace & Bless.

4. PipCurrencies

PipCurrencies Well-Known Member

The Sixth Sense

We look for evidences for everything through what we can touch, taste, smell, see, and hear. The Ancient Greeks knew of a sixth sense that they called the pneuma which was a spiritual sense - unprovable by our standards. The Latin called the connection between the spiritual and the physical worlds the sacrementum.

There is no physical proof for the spiritual - just faith.

There is a parable that Jesus told about the Rich man and a begger named Lazaraus. When they both died the Rich man asked Abraham to send Lazaraus back to warn his 5 brothers about the place of torment. Abraham said that they would not listen even if a dead man raised back to life. In 2nd Corinthians 15:12-22 the Apostle Paul argues that if the resurrection of Jesus did not happen then Christianity is a bunch of malarkey.

I have no evidence, per se, but I can personally attest that Jesus is alive and active today. Not exactly as the modern day church makes him appear but alive and well all the same.

As far as Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory? I accept Heaven as being in the presence of God and Hell as not. Purgatory detracts too much from the utter reliance on Jesus' death on the Cross and his defeat of sin and death for me to take it seriously. Again, no evidence but that is how I understand the Scriptures.

5. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

If heaven and hell exist, they would be pretty big things. I mean they would be the BIGGEST things. Nothing else would matter as much they as they would.
    Why would I have to "look hard?" Wouldn't a reasonable God provide us with evidence of this from birth so we can worry more about living the way he wants then worrying if he actually exists, and which religion is actually his true religion?

6. PipCurrencies

Sorry, as I tell my children, anything worth it's salt is going to be difficult. Faith is a life journey of epic proportions. Sorry it's tough and doesn't meet your standards of ease but it does not make it any less real or true because you don't like it.

Jesus taught something to his disciples that they didn't like and thought was too hard to accept. Many of them no longer followed him because of it. He looked to the rest of his followers and asked them if they wanted to go too. I like that he didn't roll over and change the reality of what he said in order to keep people around.

I'm sorry if this is harsh but faith is tough and we just need to get over it.

7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

There is no such thing as an afterlife. There is no evidence to back those claims that there is one. Every religion will have their version of an afterlife. But I believe they are all wrong. When we die, we just die. Our deceased relatives are not waiting for us, there is no light at the end of the tunnel, and there's certainly no virgins waiting for us in heaven.

Comedian Robert Schimmel said it best. "When you masturbate your dead relatives are watching you". If you believe in a afterlife, then take that into consideration.

8. PipCurrencies

Sorry Josh, I have a tougher time believing that your assessment is correct and that it is everyone else who is wrong. But, let each man have his faith.

9. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

I don't have answer, heaven or hell exist or not.heaven or hell never should be part of my life. but i knew, death is unwritten truth of human life. 1 little just born baby, his 1st. reaction is, he cries, hope when i die, in that last moments. smile will be there on my face. smile for in this 60-70 years life. I tried to play my role as a human with full dedication. 1 soofi Fakir, name Mansoor, when he said Anal-Haq (i'm the truth) muslims killed him by throwing stones on him. but, his last reaction was smile on face. Life start with cry and struggle, but i hope, I will end it with satisfaction and happiness.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

It's obviously an hard question to answer because nobody can prove if they exist or not. It all comes down to a person's faith and if they believe they exist.

A lot of people might be evidence and fact based, if they haven't seen something then they'll refuse to believe it, but when it comes to religion I'm not sure it can be that cut and dried.