Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rosyrain, Jul 25, 2015.

1. evelin

evelin Well-Known Member

Just because you guys haven't seen any proof, doesn't make Heaven, Hell or Purgatory less real? Let's not be ignorant here. I'm a very avid atheist, but I don't jump to unfounded conclusions just because " I think " these 3 places don't exist. Until I'm proven wrong, I will be an atheist, but I can't say that these places don't exist just because I haven't seen them until now.

2. shyinvestor

shyinvestor Active Member

I am Christina so theorically I should belive in the Heaven, Hell and Purgatory but I storngly believe that after the death nothing really happen. I mean scientifically nothing else can be proven but the eternal void and this is what I believe. It's really sad thinking about it but we have to face the reality.

3. Hyperion

Hyperion Well-Known Member

Ummm, if you believe that then there is a very small chance you are actually a Christian. You do not get to pick & choose what you want to believe in regards to the things Jesus talked about. Jesus made it very clear that Heaven & Hell are both real, and the only way to enter Heaven is to repent and be 'born again'.

And for you, Evelin, the thought I will leave you with is this: Why do people dread their death? I do not mean just fear, but the absolute dread of dying? I used to feel that way about it until I became a Christian, and now I have no dread-fear of death. It is an extremely good feeling.

4. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I don't know either. I have, literally, zero fear of death. It will come just as assuredly as the sun will rise tomorrow. My lack of fear is based upon rationalism and the certitude that the event will come eventually. Oh, I enjoy life, and there are people I must take care of like my family, so I will continue on as long as I can. Be to fear death is absurd.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Then you definitely aren't a Christian. You are in the Sadducee camp. They believed in God but they didn't believe in the resurrection of the dead [like you]. But what's the point of being religious if you don't believe that the dead will live again in a better place? Forever?

6. spaceboytaylor

spaceboytaylor Active Member

I've never really ever believed in "different places" in an afterlife. I don't feel like any god that loved all people would stick a majority of the population into a place of eternal suffering, and a portion who just sit in nothingness. If there is an afterlife, I don't see it being split. Even a heaven doesn't sound really good for me. A place with no problems just sounds kind of boring to me, and not really worth living (but I guess I'd be dead anyway wouldn't I?) so I'm still up in the air about what I want to believe happens after death. I kind like it that way though.

7. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

Christianity doesn't teach there's an "in-between" place. EVERY person either goes to heaven or hell, period. And that's the truth whether you want to believe it or not. If you're not saved, you're not going to spend eternity in heaven. So think about that next time you want to say RIP when someone has passed away.

8. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

If I remeber correctly, back when I was at school and doing Religious Education classes, we were taught or I saw a picture, I forget which, which shows the different levels of heaven and hell, and it showed babies who had died as going to a place that is not quite heaven but a few levels below it. I just found it quite interesting and it's something that stuck with me.

9. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I don't believe there is hell, but I think heaven is divided into separate planes and those with more to learn (the ones who did bad things) remain on the lower planes and the ones that did learn ascend to a higher plane. No one is perfect, and there is always room to improve and that's why souls are given that opportunity.

10. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I have read all the comments and this is the answer that I like the best and the one that I can relate to the most. I guess it is something that we will find out when our time comes. I lost both my mom and dad and I find great comfort knowing that someday I will see them again. It is my faith that helps me deal with such a great loss.