Help For Senior Citizens!

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Muthoni, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I live in an agricultural zone so most of the elderly folks out here actually don't need help of any kind from the government or family. They've been farmers most of their lives and can still [even if they employ someone to help them around when they can't do any work themselves] make enough money to live on.

2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

That is a big advantage Rainman, I have relatives in the same circumstances and what happens is that they take almost everything they need from the earth, so they can subsist that way.

3. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

In my country, there is not much facilities available for the senior citizens. I am not sure why this has happened. But I think it is really sad that such things are happening. I hope in future it will be much better than before.

4. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

Seniors in this area are eligible for social security at some point and Medicare which is government health insurance, there are programs that give seniors discounts on property tax, winter heating costs and other things. They just have to take the time to see what the qualify for and apply. Seniors have to be careful because some of the state funded things seem to have a clause that says the state will attach this cost to any real property the senior has, for example some health care costs will go against the seniors home if they own it, and when they die the family will not inherit the home, they will be force to sell it and pay back the state. In New York we are seeing more and more properties going into default from this practice. It isn't a good plan.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Most developed countries have a pension system as well as additional social security systems which help old people. While this is a good thing (and should be the standard everywhere) it's causing quite a lot of issues since it's hard to create a cost effective system, especially now that people are living longer.