Here’s Why You Should Buy Halliburton

Discussion in 'Online Brokers' started by davidscott, Mar 29, 2014.

1. davidscott

davidscott New Member

Halliburton Company (HAL) is the second-largest oilfield services company in the world,

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

So... is that the sole reason why we should buy it? :D
    Guessing your post got cut or something... hopefully you manage to edit this and post what you meant to post.

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Very good company overall with some definite competitive advantages. But they're in a risky business, and are a volatile stock. Something you'd want to buy lightly unless you're quite aggressive and able to stomach such volatility with a larger % of your money, or are advanced enough to try to "buy low & sell high" - you get plenty of peaks and troughs with this one. We saw the risks associated with owning such a stock in the summer of 2010 with the BP situation.

4. E.Mil

E.Mil Guest

I understand were you are coming from because it's oil but I will do my own research about this company and see if it might be a investment that I would want to be a part of.

5. CoolCat

CoolCat Member

Why is this in the Online Brokers section of the forum? Also, you only have four posts over the last 15 months, and all of them are about Halliburton. Something smells fishy.

6. SandyM

SandyM Well-Known Member

Haha, yes, first of all this should be moved to the Earth Commodities section of the board. Second, I am interested in learning more about Halliburton (but perhaps not from that "employee" lol). One of their calling cards is pushing for alternative sources of oil to compete with the traditional source such as Saudi Arabia. One of their flagship stations is currently in Astana, Kazakhstan. I remember them promoting internships for college students to intern as oil field account management assistants in the region. I am definitely interested in learning about their success (or setbacks) in working with Kazakhstan bureaucracy and perhaps gaining the foothold they seek in that region.

7. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Yes this post is strange.
    Volatile as all can be but the 2% yield is always nice.
    Might get into a small position this year.

8. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

$HAL currently has a P/E ratio of 110 and a 2% dividend yield. And you are shilling for this company in a sector that cratered? Muahahaha!