Hillary's Cap Gains Proposal ...

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by SteakTartare, Jul 26, 2015.

1. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I sat through much of the speech Friday afternoon. More big govt overreach - these things like how long I'm supposed to hold on to my investments are not for the govt to decide for me.

I love the way she also wails on about the "quarterly" thing, which could easily be remedied by doing away with the requirements publicly traded companies have to submit quarterly reports. But of course government's answer to less than great regulations is not to repeal them - their solution is to come up with even more regulations that are supposed to "fix" things, but that really only give government more control over our lives.

Capital gains taxes are almost always on money that has already been taxed at least once. There should be one flat rate IMO. It's all about wealth redistribution and govt control. I cannot for the life of me understand why so many big money Wall Street types publicly support her as they do - it must be because they fear her.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  3. SteakTartare

This aspect has always ground my gears. The two adults in this household are working professionals. Our income from our jobs are taxed to death, we then invest what we can of what is left, and then get hit by cap gains. Ugh ... it is never enough for the taxman.

I too don't get why some on Wall Street support the likes of Hillary and her type. They're pretty much anathema to sound economic policy.

4. JR Ewing

This is frightening to me. I know he's not a stupid man - he's either fearful or indebted or both.

[video=youtube;S1YCO0n7r3A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1YCO0n7r3A[/video]

5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

They are always looking for a way to take our money from us by taxing everything. We would all be much smarter to work under the table and accept straight cash for our wages. I was not able to watch this speech, but now I am going to check it out.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  6. SteakTartare

Pretty much. I'm remind of some of the lyrics in Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Fortunate Son":

And when you ask 'em, "How much should we give?"
    Ooh, they only answer "More! More! More!", y'all

I wish we'd get some elected officials that were serious about reducing the tax burden. I fear that just isn't happening. At least one nutbar, er, candidate wants the top tax rate to be 90%. ;)

7. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

That's just how it goes, when the government doesn't know what else to do to get more money they simple come up with a new tax. What about doing things properly and generate their own money?

8. SteakTartare

That would be refreshing. However, incompetence, waste, and corruption seems to be the standard operating procedure these days.

9. JR Ewing

I wouldn't mind paying more taxes for a little while if it was strictly for paying down the debt, and if the govt curbed spending by reducing and eliminating waste, fraud, and abuse.

But of course it doesn't work out that way. Any tax increases are usually kept permanent, spending is only increased, and the fraud, waste, and abuse continues. It becomes a bottomless pit of good money thrown after bad.

10. allenrexler

allenrexler New Member

Hillary is an outright corporate shill and does not care about every-day investors. I'm sure she supports carbon taxes and I know she supports the Trans-Pacific Partnership. As Donald J. Trump says, "It's a bad deal for America."