Holding A Tenant Responsible For Breaking A Lease

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by In the running, May 31, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I do agree with the others in saying that it depends on how the person was as a tenant for the past 6 months. If he/she was a good payer and never broke any household rules then maybe he/she is worth trusting for. If he/she has a valid reason with proof of why he/she needs to terminate your lease agreement or contract then maybe you can let him/her off the hook. It would be very time consuming and a waste of money to have to bring the issue into legal terms if the tenant was a good one. There will be plenty more to come. :)

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

All I know is that in my neck of the woods, judgements against an individual or company will be tacked on to properties owned and to credit reports.

When an individual sells or buys property, a title search is done using local public records.

If that individual has judgements against him, they will show up. Judgements will have to be satisfied before the property can change hands.

Basically, a judgement won't guarantee you'll get your money back, but it will make life more difficult for the deadbeat.