How close do you watch your account?

Discussion in '401k, IRA and Retirement' started by Rosyrain, Apr 26, 2015.

1. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I have online access also to my account and like the majority here I check in on a daily basis just to see if there are any changes.

2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I do not real ancestors my accounts unless I have a serious reason to do so. Either we are not working with the particular stock anymore, or I am consistently losing money on the stock. I find that most of them balance and rebalance themselves over time.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I also tend to check all my accounts on a daily basis aswell. I think in order to keep on top of all your investments, online access is more and more important these days as the financial markets can fluctuate massively.

4. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I am very on top of my investments, both retirement and taxable. The author of Proverbs said it very well: "Know well the condition of your flocks, and give attention to your herds." (Proverbs 27:23, The Bible). ;)

5. meka0703

meka0703 New Member

I'm addicted to watching my 401k online. I absolutely love the freedom of logging in and pulling different reports to see what my money is doing. It keeps me motivated to invest even more. It also allows me to make changes if necessary in order to keep the nest egg growing at top speed. In addition to monitoring, I'm able to change contribution percentages and pull money out should I need to. My 401k has been everything that I thought it would be and more. Saving for my future and the future of my children is important to me and I'm happy to be doing something that will positively affect us.

6. norms options

norms options Well-Known Member

Great advice. When I began investing in my retirement accounts, I used to check them very often and, as you say wanted to make adjustments more often than is beneficial. Now, I only check my accounts when I have a planned strategy adjustment with a specific goal. This way, I am not tempted to give in to fear and greed and make the common mistakes that cause most people to buy high and sell low, which is the opposite of a profitable strategy.

If you invest in excellent companies initially, and buy when they are a decent value, then the only adjustments you really need to make is to buy more as you accumulate more cash. I consider my holding period to be forever due to the strategy I hope to accomplish, which is to continue buying dividend growth companies and live off of the dividends in retirement. Buy and hold and leave it alone.