How Dangerous Is Meditation?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Oct 14, 2015.

1. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ I can't believe some people think that meditation is dangerous. It's like saying thinking or praying is dangerous, breathing could also be dangerous, yes? Idiots. When you meditate you're not supposed to abandon your life while doing so. Those people in search of yogis or whatever are looking for a life change due to some trauma, sorrow, life path or death in their life they're not for us normal people who have day jobs who just need to de-stress and relax after a long day. Meditation helps to guide you to what's really important in your immediate life. It's mindfulness and prayer all in one.

2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I mean taken to an extreme anything can be dangerous. Everything in moderation can be good. It is just one of the things that most people are looking for. It is just one of the things that you need and can use as long as used responsibly, and not to zone out all the time.

3. lstryhrn

lstryhrn Active Member

This can be a great thing now a days. With all the wars and killing and the crazy things that goes along with that sometimes you have to step away from life.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

You may be right on that - meditation is like praying so it cannot be dangerous. However, there are practitioners of meditation who engage in the so called astral projection and travel, i.e. the soul or spirit leaving the physical body. And to achieve astral travel, you have to meditate first because it needs full concentration. Other than that astral thing, meditation is actually good for the mental hygiene since it is like cleaning up the nook and cranny of your mind.

5. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

Meditation to me is just relaxing, deep breathing, and clearing your thoughts. Nothing more and nothing less. It sure does help.

6. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

How do you think people hypnotize people or put them in a trance? They relax them into a meditative state first and then delve into their brains. That's why sessions where people are hypnotized are recorded, because this is where abuse can occur, or where triggers of subconscious events and feelings can surface.

Simple meditation is fine, but one should also be aware that meditation can also put ideas into the mind. If you consider the self-help tapes to quit smoking and the like, they put the mind in an hypnotic state through meditation.

7. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

If you consider deep relaxation, focus, increased alertness, improved posture, and inner peace to be dangerous, then by all means STEER CLEAR of meditation.

8. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Getting onto really questionable stuff there. I've heard of astral projection being talked about a lot but not really believed in it that much. To me astral projection just seems to be like a really livid lucid dream.

9. evelin

evelin Well-Known Member

Guys, don't be afraid of meditating. It can only do good. I think it's an exception to the whole "everything used in big quantities is counterproductive" saying... of course you must be reasonable enough not to spend all day meditating because then it might interfere with your daily tasks. :)