How did Scientology become so popular in Hollywood?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by matt, Jul 18, 2015.

1. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

This has always stuck me as really odd. As new religions go, Scientology is, quite frankly, one of the most ridiculous and manipulative. And yet plenty of well-healed types fall for it.

That said, to each their own. If someone finds meaning in Scientology, or any other faith system, Godspeed. No pun intended.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Let me segue a bit because that mention of ridiculous and manipulative has a parallelism in the current issue of Iglesia Ni Cristo, a Christian denomination here that is branded by some as manipulative. They vote in elections according to what their church say, they are given a list for that, whether national or local elections. Members are forced to contribute 10% of their earnings and there is an attendance in church that they would check on the member when absent. But what's surprising is the membership is still growing.

3. PipCurrencies

PipCurrencies Well-Known Member

I have a friend who has done very well in his business. He makes gobs of money and is in a whole new class in life. He still wants to be a part of his old crowd but nobody can keep up with him and his new lifestyle unless he pays. Now he suspects that his "friends" are only his "friends" because of the luxury that he shares. He's quite lonely because he does not know who really loves him - even his brothers. I suspect that Scientology creates a community that allows the lonely famous to be with other lonely famous people who no longer fit with the people they used be a part of.

4. Bettesman

Bettesman New Member

Ignorance + loneliness + $$$$$$ = scientology or universal church of Jesus whatever...

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

It does seem to only attract, and even allow in, two types of person. Rich and famous or just rich.

I have to admit that I haven't studied it or anything but from the bits I do know, it's certainly not any kind of religion that I can take seriously and I'm surprised that anybody else does either to be honest.

6. PipCurrencies

PipCurrencies Well-Known Member

I think Scientology (along with most clubs) is about community and relationships with others. I think the study of addiction and "Rat Park" (See the Wikipedia article) is somewhere in the midst of its popularity.

7. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Tom Cruise? I don't know there's no one way of answering this. Ron Hubbard was a prolific science fiction writer before he founded Scientology and some say he's invented a mind-control/brainwashing device. They've been recruiting a lot of celebrities and popularity comes with that.

8. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 Member

Scientology is a business, created by sick people to turn a profit by selling hope. They just specifically targeted many Hollywood actors and actresses in hopes of getting the masses to follow in the footsteps of these popular stars.

Tags: