How do you follow the latest news on the markets?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by baudwalk, Sep 4, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I think most of the people in this forum, including me will use all the sites and media outlets already mentioned, but a lot of people still tend to take their word as gospel, and follow certain people no matter what.

At the end of the day, while it's good to take as much advice as you can, that's just what it us, advice. Their opinion, and if you don't agree, then it's not worth the risk, and people shouldn't just blindly follow one so called expert.

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I hope my OP suggested that I look to those sources for understanding why the markets moved during the or short-term period. Contagion in the markets occurs on a worldwide basis. If the CNBC FM or HR traders are discussing a stock or group of stocks in a sector, I certainly don't take their statements as gospel nor do I act on them immediately. If something sounds interesting I'll put one or more symbols on a watch list for possible future action while I run my own reality checks.

One other item in the kit bag is following Jim Rickards (@JamesGRickards on Twitter), extensive vitae (http://www.jamesrickardsproject.com/about-james-rickards/) and author. His latest op ed piece "Conversation With A Spy" (http://www.darientimes.com/55246/rickards-conversation-with-a-spy/) is an interesting read,

"My conversation with General Hayden focused on my own specialty, market intelligence (MARKINT), and the ongoing financial wars between the U.S. and Russia and Iran. Hayden agreed with me that financial war will be a primary means of warfare in the twenty-first century. He referred to financial sanctions as “the PGMs of the twenty-first century;’” a reference to Precision Guided Munitions. In effect, asset freezes would replace cruise missiles as a way to disable an enemy."

So what sources of news do you follow on a daily or occasional basis, any why?

3. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member

I generally just check sites like my local news site and Reddit for my worldwide news. Exciting I know.

I use Yahoo finance to keep up to date on everything else. It's easy to look at and I don't need anything more.

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Good question. I tend to mostly watch mostly CNBC during the early part of the day, and I will flip over 1-2 channels to Fox Biz and Fox periodically, particularly the later the day gets. The blend of conservative politics and finance does have a certain appeal to me, and Fox Biz has its share of good looking women on as well - which no doubt draws me there subconsciously if nothing else. :D

5. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Interesting rationale, JR. :cool:

I happened across a web site called Moneychimp (http://www.moneychimp.com/). It isn't a market news source but it may be useful for those persons wanting to get started on learning how to begin investing (see "Investing 101"), how to manage credit and considering retirement . Unlike the encyclopedic Investopedia (http://www.investopedia.com/), Moneychimp offers a wide variety of easy-to-read beginning reference material that can lead to detailed information.

The site attracted my attention with some of its calculators. The "frugality" section includes calculators on savings, credit card debt, and index versus mutual funds. Judging from other forum threads on credit issues, the credit card debt calculator should shock some people. Just for grins, I plugged in a $5,000 bill, paying $100 a month at 18.5% to see how long it would take to pay off. The result? Just shy of 8 years (94 months), with interest totalling $4,300. Urk!

There are a variety of financial calculators (http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator/), including mortgage and retirement. I played with the retirement payout numbers (how long will money last), and the results just reinforce my philosophy of paying yourself first during your working years.

Is Moneychimp perfect? Probably not, but JR and I think it may be an interesting and useful web site to begin exploring investing and financial areas. Moneychimp is not the singular source to explore and learn, but I feel feel it does raise an awareness level. HTH. YMMV.

6. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

This is really informative guys. I just usually go on CNN, Bloomberg, twitter, Finance apps and even Snapchat because they delivery visual news on the go. I think this is pretty good for me because I'm not that serious of a stock guy-- atleast not yet. I might scrounge up enough money to invest big and look into these news apps. Thanks for the suggestions!

7. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Glad to help, Apollo. Dollar-cost averaging and dividend reinvestment is a good way to get started. I note Ford and Verizon are paying nominal 5% dividends at the current price levels. CNBC had a blurb during Fast Money thus evening identifying 5 stocks recovering lhe best since the August 25 market dip: Apple, Chevron, Cisco, Intel and Microsoft. Interesting.

I think I'm about to add another Bloomberg show to the daily routine listed in the opening post. "Trending Business" airs at 10 pm Eastern. The show covers the markets opening in Asia, including Japan, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong and China. Fast-moving, many business and finance topics and in recent weeks there has been some interesting information on the yuan. I like it. (And toight, better than the silly Patriots-Steelers football game tainted by #deflategate.)

FWIW, Bloomberg shifts the air time of their "opening market" shows, based in studios in London and Asia, for winter and summer times. The Asian and European time shifts are not necessarily on the same Sundays as in the Americas. The Date & Time (http://www.timeanddate.com/) web site can help on time shifts.

HTH. YMMV.

8. Beary

Beary Member

Surprised at the very detailed posts after clicking on the title (great topic!). Usually just look at business news from the local news. Google and CNBC is where I go for any extra daily research. Any big story will get picked up by every news station.

9. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Another almost-daily must TV business news show has been added to my routine. On NHK Workd Japan, the business news segment embedded in the hour or half hour newscast is usually somewhere in the H+5 to H+15 minute time period. I usually catch the segment at 11 pm, Midnight or 1 am Eastern. It's more-or-less midday in Tokyo, and the exchange may be on lunch break. The coverage of the Japanese and Korean markets in light of the recent Chinese meltdown has been interesting, a heads-up to contagion that spreads westward during the day, and it is a different perspective of the Asian theater when compared to the BBC and Bloomberg live programming from Hong Kong.

NHK World Japan's English language TV service is carried OTA by a local public television outlet, and therefore is required to be carried by the cable TV service. Apparently it is streamed on the net as well. See http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/howto/ for details. I don't find NHK on Roku.

As noted before, the summer-winter time shifting will move the live shows around. Like Europe, Japan is not in lockstep with the North America's calendar.

HTH. YMMV.

So, to the lurkers who haven't commented yet, what have you found to be an interesting current news source?

10. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I've found the Yahoo Finance app to be pretty good for receiving my market news. It might not be the best and it might not be the best way but I've found it works OK for me right now as I'm trying to get to grips with the stock markets.

The reason I have it on my phone is because I use my phone a lot and it usually gives me a daily update on the more important news stories on the markets. I like it a lot.