How Do You Resist Impulse Buying?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Jul 13, 2015.

1. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I am not an impulse buyer. When I see something that I think I might want, I always ask myself if I really need it. Usually I will leave the store without it and have time to think about it. A lot of times if I do decide to go back and purchase it, it is already gone. That means that I really didn't need it afterall. There are few things I will buy if it is a really good deal and I can't resist it but it doesn't happen too often. I work really hard for my money so I don't like to just throw it away on an impulse.

2. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

Funny thing, just a few days ago I noticed an USB lighter I was so struck by the thought to buy it, but I told myself "Heck, I don't even smoke that often, so what's the point in buying a $24 lighter???". Though this is just a miracle for me, haha. Usually I just buy what I see without thinking too much about the outcome.

3. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member

I do something similar to pwarbi. I first of all set out a list of what I want to buy, take an estimate of the total cost, generally + $5 and then only walk into a shop with that amount. It keeps my costs down low enough to be spending less than $320 a month in total.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I don't resist impulse buying because our policy in life is to enjoy it while we are still alive, hahahaaa. Pardon me for the laughter but it's true. I usually buy on impulse provided it satisfy 2 requirements. First, I should have the money for that otherwise it may cause us financial trouble. Second requirement is the use for that item or whatever it is that I want to buy. Like our trip to Malaysia last April, I saw in the internet a budget accommodation in a 5-star hotel. For a little over $100 per night, it has free breakfast and other amenities like fridge and 2 tv - one in the huge bathroom. It was really a bargain and probably would be there again next year. Just want to show that my impulse buying has sense.. most of the time.

5. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

I think it's just a matter of looking to those things we impulsively want to buy and think or ask ourselves, do I really need this? Is all the work I made to earn the money aimed to this?

6. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member

What I do to resist impulse buying is to not have money. Just joking. If I want to buy something, I always ask permission to my sister if it's okay for me to buy things and of course with my own money. If they don't want then I won't buy it.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I've never really had a problem with this. I'm very cheap by nature so it's natural for me to just not buy something if I feel like it isn't worth the price.
    However I might need a bit of help with impulse buying on the stock market... all my money seems to be pouring into the market. :D I'm currently investing more than I'm earning (using up my savings as I go) but it's still all according to my plan.

8. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I've never really been into "stuff" or other consumer crapola, so it hasn't been a big temptation. That said, a few tips:

• Have a budget and stick to it.
    • Put your savings and investing first.
    • If you are tempted by a product, promise yourself that you'll wait at least 48-hours before buying it. Odds are you won't want it as much by then.
    • Budget for fun stuff. Everyone needs some recreation and toys. Just don't got nuts.
    • Budget a small (key word small) amount for "mad money". That may seem counter-intuitive, but having a set number you can blow on anything is a nice relief valve.
    • Don't bother "keeping up with the Jones." They are likely mouth-breathers who are up to their eyeballs in debt anyway.
    • Savor financial freedom. :D

Cheers.

9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

It actually used to happen to me a lot, but I started carrying just less money, so I can’t buy anything that I don't really need even if I'd really wish to buy that thing. Before even thinking about buying something that I don’t need I also think about other more productive ways on spend the money that I’m planning to spend on the unnecessary thing. It has worked!

10. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I control impulse buying by leaving my wallet in my pocket. Geez, golly whiz. Ever heard of self control? Works pretty well. Again, it should parents passing mores to their own children. Keep the community organizing schools and whackos out of family "stuff".