How long do you take to decide?

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by Investor, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

When it comes to buying or renting, how long does it normally take for you to decide whether you want a property or not? Prospective homeowners or tenants should bare in mine that sellers and landlords will know whether you are serious or not. This can be detrimental to your chances of getting the property, that is, if you really want it. So, my question to the tenants or homeowners is, how long does it take you or has taken you, to decide on whether you are settling with a property?

2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Around where I live houses sell within a few days of being on the market, so you have to be very quick to decide. A lot of times you have to find several different houses that you would like to have because chances are someone else will beat you to making an offer on at least a couple of them. You really have to go into it already knowing what you want.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Really hard to say. I've never bought a house but I'm sure that would be a pretty long process. When renting it's a lot easier since it's not such a huge commitment... I think for rentals I can decide on the spot. I've rented 2 houses.. one I knew instantly and the second I knew I didn't want it but due to not having enough time and the market in the area being so competitive it's silly I chose to accept it to make sure I had a roof on my head.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

When we rented an apartment, it took us 1 day to decide on the first apartment we visited. Since the location is good and the rent is cheap although the apartment is quite old, we got it immediately. When we moved to a rented house, it also took 1 day to decide. But when we bought a house, prospecting took 6 months. We were choosy because it would be our permanent house. And we are living in that house now that we call our own home.

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I am one of those people who makes quick decisions and actions. I always try to make sure I do my reasonable due diligence before committing anything, but I don't play around.

6. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

Finding this thread is timely for me because I am at the point of thinking and still deciding right now whether I should push through with renting this specific space that I have been visiting a couple of times. The owner of the property told me that they have been offering the space to another individual and they are yet to know his decision. So there are actually 2 of us who have specific interests on that place. I really want to rent that place as soon as possible so as not to be overtaken by the other prospective tenants but I still could not get to a final decision due to the fact that I still have to consult with my other half and still wait for his decision on the matter. On my side of the coin, if I see that a place has a potential, I would immediately grab the chance of renting it.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Our first good prospect when we were scouting for a house to buy was a 229 square meter lot with 3 tiny bedrooms. I loved it so we hastily decided to get it. But since our means is thru a bank loan, we waited for a month for its approval. And when approved, the owner backed out. I really cried my heart out. After some months, we again found another house, this time a 280 square meter lot with a house having 3 good bedrooms. But we took time to decide because we didn't want to blame ourselves in case we might be wrong. With that 229 lot, it now appeared that it's not a good buy because of the bad architecture. We were just fortunate that the owner backed out.

8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Thanks to online real estate you can research the houses online now and take virtual tours before you even go to tour the house with the agent. I like that I can now look up schools and all of that before even committing to touring the house. You are then more able to make a quick decision if you want to go through with the purchase or not.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

You are right. When my nephew was trying to rent out his condo in a plush area, what he did was to post on Facebook not only the interior of his condo but also the exterior to show the neat garden, the pretty swimming pool and the outside of the compound where stores and eateries are lined up. Although it took a while before the condo was rented, at least he was not bothered with the tripping of showing the prospective buyer for an ocular.

10. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

When renting it is usually within a day because apartments go very quickly around here. When I purchased a house a number of years ago it took us a couple of weeks to decide if we were going to purchase it. We had looked at a number of different properties and then decided on the one we wanted.