How to Do Technical Analysis?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Education' started by 111kg, Sep 11, 2015.

1. 111kg

111kg Guest

If you were a beginner, how would you learn all these terms? There are so many new terms and some of them are confusing. I've tried to look them on Google, but I get nothing explained in layman's terms, of course, nothing else than some Indian guys trying to talk English.

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

If you are frustrated with Investopedia and other web sites, I strongly suggest a book: Technical Analysis for Dummies (Barbara Rockefeller, Wiley Publishing, Hoboken, NJ).

I found the book to be a good read and continue to use it as a reference tool. Rockefeller's writing style doesn't assume prior knowledge.

See http://www.dummies.com/store/produc...Dummies-3rd-Edition.productCd-1118779614.html for a description.

Part of the yellow-cover 'For Dummies' series, it is available from Barnes & Noble, Amazon and probably many other book stores. Discounted pricing is ~$20. I would recommend the paperback (over the electronic format) for both an initial read and late as a reference to highlight, add tabs and flip around the book as a refresher.

You might to pick through this http://www.dummies.com/how-to/personal-finance/investing/Technical-Analysis.html page for related material.

Additionally, the For Dummies series has titles on candlestick charting and swing trading.

HTH. YMMV.

3. Beary

Beary Member

Lots of links already provided; just to vouching for Investopedia. Investopedia is where I started reading technical analysis. Real basic information and advanced topics spread into chapters. Loved how they outline the chapters and topics.

4. 111kg

111kg Guest

I don't have any of those stores in my country, but I think I can buy the books from somewhere else, like ebay.co.uk or ebay.de. Usually, I would just download them, but I really hate learning from .pdf files.

One more (stupid) question: how long does the technical analysis usually take? At what point do you say "yay" or "nay"?

5. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I didn't realize you weren't in NA. Wiley is a large publishing firm. The 'For Dummies' series is huge, and I would be very surprised if larger chain bookstores in Germany or the UK wouldn't carry or have access to the series. I have never ordered anything from Amazon, but don't they have an outlet in at least the UK? From the first link to the book (above), navigate to Wiley's customer service page and ask Wiley for help on locating a seller near you. Do you have a friend or relative traveling to the USA to bring a copy to you? There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Re your second question there is no magic bullet on how long it takes to learn TA. I am absolutely no expert on the subject, but since I have retired and have time to read, I've learned enough terminology to usually comprehend what I see posted on other web sites. Learning how to research is, in my opinion, the best outcome of education.

While you hunt down the book(s), I suggest keep it simple and focus on learning and using the MACD and RSI and the moving (say) 50 and 200 day moving averages.to your advantage.

Finally, I wouldn't trust myself to build a portfolio on technical analysis (TA) alone. I tend to be conservative, especially since I'm older. Understanding TA concepts that chartists employ and discuss helps to understand why some stocks, sectors or markets may move.

Let us know how your TA education goes. HTH YMMV.

6. 111kg

111kg Guest

Thank your for your advice :) I spent some time last night reading your and ER Ewing's previous posts and there were a couple of gold mines here and there. I'll definitely update this thread when I start to see some progress.

7. 111kg

111kg Guest

Me again. I was reading about acceleration/deceleration oscillator but I realized I did not understand the following phrase:

Can anyone here explain this formula in layman's terms, please?