Hundreds of Prisoners Freed By Mistake In The UK

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

It wouldn't be that a huge deal if all of those freed by "error" had committed petty crimes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35187966
    Some of those released early were criminals who had either committed violent crimes or murders or were suspects.
    I wonder how they'll explain the "errors" if someone who wasn't supposed to be released from prison is freed and commits a crime, say another murder?

2. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Sadly this has happened as a consequence of admin and paperwork. I remember when they admitted they pardoned criminals in error and couldn't retract it. They tried and then there was a legal case made against them.

There does need to be an overhaul, but there is a small safety net of probation officers that do keep an eye on ex-convicts. Another case was when a remand prisoner faked his own release papers and emailed them to the prison. He was released by accident, but was apprehended several days later.

3. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

This is unacceptable. Something like this should never happen. Sadly you know that some of them will go out and commit more crimes and even kill somebody.

4. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Things like this really should not be happening these days but sadly they seem to be coming a little more common than normal.

Around this time last year a career criminal was released on a day release and unsurprisingly he did not return back. A few days to a week later he was arrested and sent back to prison after he robbed a bank with another accomplice. You think they would have learned their mistakes after that incident.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

These things happening... like under 5 a year, would be understandable. It's human error.
    But these numbers are too big, some sort of a change in the admin system should be implemented to prevent this from happening so often.

6. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't see how this was an "error". I don't believe it for a second. Especially because it was such a large amount of inmates.

7. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

Oops! My bad!

In other news, I found $500,000 in my couch cushions.

8. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

This happened in the United States as well. Most of the people being released days earlier some months were of petty crimes however. The ones that only had days left on their sentences were pardoned. The ones that had months and a few with over a year were located and returned to the prison to finish the remainder of their sentences.

9. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Ah shucks now they can't graduate to the next level of con College!
    But this is a huge screw up, how in the world....
    That person should not be keeping their job.