IBM buys Ustream

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by baudwalk, Jan 21, 2016.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkon...-acquisition-as-part-of-new-cloud-video-unit/

IBM announced today its acquisition of Ustream, a popular 9 year-old live video stream service. Interesting, in my opinion. $IBM shares have been struggling over the past few years, but it remains to be seen if the cloud business will rescue the company from the doldrumd. On the other side of this transaction, this probably explains the failure of Ustream to respond to Android and iOS users' complaints of poor streaming performance (bufferring, aborts and more) over the past months. I would be surprised

I use Ustream to watch the two-a-day morning and late afternoon Wildearth Safari,,live from vehicles in Sabi Sands, Kruger National Park, and enjoy chatting with acquaintances I have gotten to know over the years. I've seen some very interesting animal activities. Hopefully the broadcast performance will improve. Ustream has also given viewers a different perspective on the Black Lives Matter events around the country, and has TV broadcaster streams from around the world. I hope IBM can improve the service.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

It seems that IBM is trying to follow the footsteps of Google. I remember when Google bought youtube in 2006, no one expected that it would be a money-maker and in fact some business analysts were saying that Google will certainly lose money in that deal. But look now where youtube is. With Ustream, I guess it will pick up when the stock prices have stabilized.

3. eddiemoneys

eddiemoneys Well-Known Member

Like Microsoft, IBM too has fallen behind on a few markets and trends they should have stayed on top of and paid closer attention to in the end of the 1990's to the beginning of the 2000's.

Their server market is still strong and the point of sale machines keep them going most of all, but they really could have benefitted from the purchase of RealMedia (Realplayer) or other streaming technologies that were going somewhere to market their IBM Video conferencing technology since they were one of the first to do it and offer it commercially. It didn't catch on like they wanted it to mainly because the bandwidth wasn't there for it to use, but they could have leapt on that and did something with it much sooner if they had realized what they were holding on to and paid more attention to that than their bigger projects like Watson. There were several IBM products that could have been tied together with that, like IBM Viavoice, for a better video conferencing experience with voice recognition which is starting to be done now with rivals and alternative providers of it. Maybe they still can now that they have UStream, but they're going to have to go above and beyond what's out there now to do that.

I don't forsee UStream being as big as Youtube or even Dailymotion or Vimeo is, but anything is possible when it comes to huge fortune 500 and fortune 1000 companies joining together to make changes to the industry. IBM is long overdue for a great comeback, and this could be one of the things that helps them to have one.

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I was short IBM for quite a while in the last year or so, and made a nice chunk of change on the way down, even though I exited a little early.

5. Troponin

Troponin Guest

We are seeing a lot of this type of action this year. I suppose they are trying to stay relevant and trying to stick to the trend. The Super Bowl is going to be the first test to see what happens with all of these new streaming concepts, the Olympics will be next. Companies are looking to be able to stream both, while allowing users to interact with each other during the events.

FB just did it, and the first test will be with the Super Bowl.