IEX ruling by SEC may affect HFT business

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by baudwalk, Jun 18, 2016.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

The fight between the free market proponents and HFT lobby may well be close to the end with an SEC ruling this pas week. I admit to not comprehending the finer points -- the material is dense -- but this seems like a good thing for a change. I will be rereading this again. Your thoughts?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-...nted-exchange-status-sec-says-speed-race-over

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Haven't read it all yet. But my stance has always been that as long as any one trader, institution, HFT system, or whatever is getting there first purely on speed - and is not actually intercepting the orders of others & thus acting as another unofficial market maker or exchange... and is not being treated any differently by an existing exchange or market maker... more power to them.

And there should be no limitations on the frequencies these things should be able to trade IMO - buy when you want to buy, sell when you want to sell. Volume brings liquidity to markets. Of course if more than one party get together and decide to just "paint the tape", that has already long been a forbidden activity.

Tags: