If Burqas are Banned

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

That's the sad reality of political correctness these days. If you're a figure of authority then asking someone to remove it is like asking for your career to be thrown down the pan.

2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I think the idea here is that weapons, bombs etc. could be hidden under the garments. I don't think things should be allowed that might impact public safety. It may be discrimination but the thought behind is that it is for the greater good.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

meh, everything is discrimination. I'm not allowed to walk naked in the public so that's discrimination but no one seems to mind. (except for the ladies who miss a good view ;) )

4. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

People who carry backpacks and wear overcoats can be as much as a threat, but the problem is that police and security are not allowed to search them without looking as it they are discriminating them. That's why it's more of a political correctness issue. Most people won't object to being searched or their bags checked, but someone who is Muslim and wearing a burqa may refuse on the grounds of prejudice. If they have nothing to hide then why protest? If they enjoy the same freedoms of walking down the street in a western country, they should abide by the laws of wherever they are. They can't expect their laws to travel with them.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

But they do. And at least in Europe they got what they wanted, all this political correctness crap and "being accepting of others" has got to a point where the laws and customs of the country are dictated by the minority... and obviously always to their own advantage. So basically Europe is nowadays racist against Europeans... quite ironic.

6. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Yes, to an extent but should things have got as far as they have? You give a bit and they want more. It doesn't work the other way around and is one sided which I find hypocritical. Being too liberal and accepting means that some will take advantage and expect too much. When in the UK they started talking of making Muslim holidays national holidays, they stopped that going any further. Then when they tried to get sharia law adopted into domestic law, thankfully that was stopped. The fact is they thought that they could do this does disturb me, that they have no respect for the laws of the country that they have chosen to live in. If they want to abide by those laws, they should go to a country where those laws exist and not force another country to cater to their whims.