Illegal Migrants in Britain

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by gracer, Jun 6, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

According to a BBC report, 68 illegal migrants were discovered in 4 container trucks full of washing machines after a routine Border Force check at Harwich port. 15 among them are children and there were also 2 pregnant women on board. Most of them were from Afghanistan and China. They are all in the care of the Harwich port Border Force but the ones who are not seeking asylum are going to be sent home. Here's a link to the story:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-33018512

2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I wonder how much money is actually made by harboring in illegal immigrants? I t must be profitable if you are willing to do such a crime. It can't be the love of it all, or the humanitarian in you. It must be something circumstantial, to go to jail and ruin your career.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

The trouble is, this is a daily thing that happens here on Britain, people only gear about the ones that get caught.

In my opinion they should all be sent back to where they came from, nevermind if they're seeking asylum or not. The UK can't take anymore before the welfare system is crippled.

4. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

The numbers that get caught, the numbers that don't are fairly sizeable by all accounts. Europe has to get its politics and borders in order if it wants to control this. This also means helping to support unstable regions and regimes. If some of these places were safer and stable, do you think that most of these migrants would risk death to make the journey? Unlikely.

There will always be economic migrants, and they're always harder to stop. But those fleeing for their lives would very often stay if they lived in a safer nation.

5. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure what I think about this. It's certainly true that the UK is stretched to the limit as it is, without any more asylum seekers but on the other hand, who can really blame these people for trying to flee? I'd like to think that we would be able to offer them refuge, for compassionate reasons but in reality it's either unlikely to happen or would be very ill-received by the general public as despite any good intentions we may have, the country simply cannot afford this.

6. Samu Zadori

Samu Zadori Member

Do you not think that the people who fleed their countries and left behind their loved ones (along with everything they ever knew) had a good reason to leave? Do you think it would be humanitarian for us to send people back without assessing their circumstances first? Also, regardless whether you think we should, the UK can certainly take a lot more immigrants, as it's not "full", despite certain people claiming it to be.

7. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

It might be so impossible right now but I think the only way these illegal migrancies can be stopped is when the conflicts from these migrants' countries could be stopped. Most migrants come from war torn countries seeking for a more peaceful life. What happens when all borders close for them? They'll be left wandering into the high seas with nowhere to go to? Can peaceful nations afford to see people dying out there helplessly?