Imagine if your grandparents would have invested wisely

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by crimsonghost747, Jun 21, 2015.

1. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

My family was never on the rich side, but one of my grandfathers was pretty savvy.
    He used to brew his own beer and make his own wine too.
    I guess he built up a pretty good nest egg.
    He just worked a regular chemist job, saved money and did things the old fashion way.
    I always remember he had a great life compared to the rest of the family, nice house, nice car and lots of golf.
    Now I know how he did it.

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

You make a very good point. I only used the example of investing in the stock market since that is pretty much what this forum is about, but other investments (such as the education your grandfather paid for your mother) are just as valuable. Through that education your mother could get a decent job, which in turn allowed her to pay for your education etc. It all adds up.

Of course teaching a different look at life, hard work, honesty, dedication etc. can be much more rewarding and helpful than any sort of financial aid. And usually it is the family that teaches these values but this is something we can also learn ourselves.

3. petesede

petesede Guest

be careful that your grandchildren don´t read this, or they will get pissed at you.

I don´t really. I think Bill Gates and those guy are smart enough to lead the way.. You can´t just dump money on kids or you end up with Paris Hilton, and who the hell wants that. I think it is great to have money available so your kids can go to the best school that they can get into, but just giving people cash doesn´t help them. Look at lottery winners.. most of them have worse lives 5 years after they get the money.

I want to give my kids every opportunity possible, but not just give them money.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

My grandchildren, if I end up having any, would most probably be glad to read this. I'm just 26 and already thinking about them. ;)

I do agree with you, dumping millions onto small kids is dangerous since they will never learn the value of money. But with proper upbringing I think it can work out just fine, everyone always mentions Paris Hilton because she is super famous but forget about Ivanka Trump or any of the other Trump kids who seem to be doing just fine working as executives in the financial world.

Anyways, I don't think we are discussion a million dollars a month allowances in this thread, that simply is pretty hard to do by honest work and a little investing. What I am talking about is stuff like getting an education without having to take out a huge loan. Being able to afford that downpayment of the apartment/house they want without saving up for years, basically not having money worries guiding their life. I don't think money is THAT important but it does open a lot of doors for young people and also allows them to think about what job they want to have, not what job they need to have to pay the bills.