Indiana changes @tedcruz campaign hopes

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by baudwalk, May 4, 2016.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

As I write begin to write this 10 minutes after the close of the Indiana primary, with ~10% of the vote counted @realDonaldTrump has been declared the winner. He leads @tedcruz by something approaching a 2:1 ratio in the vote count. More interesting is what Cruz will be saying in his yet-to-come concession speech tonight. Eight hours earlier today, @AP reported an unidentified Cruz campaign aide said a somber Cruz had "given up" on Indiana and was preparing to layoff campaign staff as soon as tonight. The report was later embellished to say Cruz would "stay in to the convention."

Earlier today @tedcruz called into the @glennbeck radio show. For those who came in late, Glenn Beck has been promoting and campaigning with Cruz for these many months. (At the same time, reports of Beck's media empire crumbling under a multi-million debt load have surfaced in the last week, with ~40 staff laid off and "bureaus" outside Texas closed. Yesterday Beck denied the financial failures were due to campaigning for Cruz.) Beck closed the phone call with Cruz saying "I will see you tonight at your victory party." Glenn's radio show tomorrow morning should be interesting.

To be sure, win or lose in November, the Republican party insiders' apple cart has been upset by @realDonaldTrump. Hopefully the old way of smoke-filled back rooms within Washington are torpedoed. I wouldn't be surprised if some liberal Democrats don't cross over to say "enough" with exported jobs, an economy muddling along with a ~0.5% GDP growth rate, porous borders, and IS/ISIS/ISIL/Daesh.

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Ten minutes ago campaign manager Jeff Roe confirms that @tedcruz is suspending his campaign as "that path to victory" has been closed. Finis.

3. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Indeed, it is game over for Cruz. And Trump is the presumptive nominee.

P.S. WTF @ Trump repeating a National Inquirer conspiracy theory that Cruz's father, Rafael, had something to do with JFK assassination. Yeesh, Donald, what is on tap next, denying the moon landing, stating water fluoridation is a communist plot, and lizard aliens rule the world?

4. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

And a few minutes ago, breaking news on the day after: John Kasich has suspended his campaign. Let's hope @Reince Priebus, Chairman of the RNC, can get the ellies in line.

5. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I was a Ted Cruz supporter. He was the best candidate I've ever had the opportunity to vote for, and I'm 31 years old. He's extremely bright and articulate. His personality did seem to rub people the wrong way, but that's about his only flaw. He would have been a fantastic president. Not only was he truly for smaller government, but his also recognized the war being waged on normal America by the cultural left. You don't see that combination much these days. I'm sure he'll go on to have a great career, but I'm doubtful he could successfully become president in a future run.

6. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I do think was inevitable as he was considered too Conservative, but lets see how his career progresses or not. After a failed Presidential campaign it can be hard to bounce back, and have to admit defeat . I was never a fan as I didn't like his arrogance, but will he retain his supporters?