Interest in Virtual Stock Market Game?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by ArianaGrande, Mar 27, 2014.

?

Would you like to pretend trade?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    93.8%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. uggonen

uggonen Well-Known Member

Has the idea gone anywhere? I would really love to see the idea evolving!

2. comeonpk3

comeonpk3 Member

This sounds like a real cool way for people to learn without really losing anything. Count me in!

3. preyy

preyy Well-Known Member

Why not? That's what people need to do, anyway, because stocks are not children's play... but games involving stocks are. ;)

4. Paul

Paul Active Member

I did something like this during an economics project in high school and loved it. I'd like to see a game like this now too!

5. hun10sta

hun10sta Member

Yeah, is anyone still working on this? I feel like it'd be good practice for those who want to get into the stock market but at the same time don't want to put any real money on the line. Obviously, it's not a substitute for actual stock market experience, but it's a good way to get your foot in the door and learn fundamental concepts.

6. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member

I have came across a couple of these kind of sites online. Actually, I even took a part in a competition which focused on trading stocks and the winner with most virtual currency by the end of the year won a prize of 10000$. However, I wasn't very active and didn't rank very well.

7. workinglady20

workinglady20 Well-Known Member

I voted and my answer is yes that I would like to pretend trade on an online game. There are a ton of interesting games online and I totally have an interest in being involved in the stock market on a game. There is an online virtual world called Second Life and I know for a fact that there is the stock market in there and you can earn real life money too. I have earned real life money in Second Life from doing other jobs. I might join a stock market group in Second Life soon because it looks like fun and also a wonderful learning experience.

8. wulfman

wulfman Guest

I would definitely be interested. I took part in a similar contest in elementary school. My 4th grade teacher, who left a great impact on me, wanted us to understand what the stock market was really about. There was a Newsday contest among hundreds of elementary schools in the country and all teams were given 10k dollars to invest. Teams consisted of 4-5 kids. The winner would be decided at the end of the school year (obviously the team who had the highest profit margin). One hour was allotted every day for us to talk about what we wanted to invest in, how many shares, dividends and interest were taken into consideration, etc. Every week Newsday (Long Island newspaper) would post the standings. At one point my team was in the top 100 for 2 weeks in a row. She was a great teacher. She even took us on a field trip to the NYSE.