Intruder dies in California Chimney

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by L_B, Dec 2, 2015.

1. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

It seems this young man climbed down the chimney when the family was away. He got stuck in the chimney and was there all night. The next morning the homeowner lit the fire not knowing the man was inside the chimney. He tried to put out the fire when he heard the young man yelling. However by the time they got him out he had died. What a way to go!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/30/us-california-chimney-idUSKBN0TI0UC20151130

2. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

So will the home owner be charged with murder now? I'm just kidding. That is pretty unfortunate, and idiotic on the young intruders part. Maybe he should have been yelling when he heard the guy start to set up the logs for the fire, and they guy wouldn't have released the smoke that choked him to death.

3. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

What a fool to try and go down a chimney, birds can do it, and chimney boys used to do it in Victorian times, but these days, no one expects a human up a chimney. Maybe that's just instant karma as per another thread on the forum. I expect the homeowner was in shock too, and didn't think he would come home and have to have his chimney taken apart.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

First thing the man should have done when he got stuck in the chimney is yell for help. Odds are no one would have heard him but when the owners of the house came back that would have been the right to ask them to help him get out. It would have been better to be locked away for a number of years.

5. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

He was probably high on something. People make brilliant choices when they are wasted. It reminds me of a story a kid told me when I used to teach. He and his friends were jumping from rooftop to rooftop, and one of the kids fell off and died, only a teenage male brain...! I am surprised my son survived...but he told me..once, you have to realize your own capabilities.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

When I heard the story I also wondered if drugs had played a part in all this, as even for the most eccentric of burglars climbing down a chimney to enter a property is a bit extreme.

7. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I was wondering also why he didn't scream sooner to let somebody know that he was stuck in there. He would have went to jail but it would have been better then dying the way that he did. He made no noise until the owner lit the fire. How long was he going to stay in there without yelling? It makes no sense but yes there could have been drugs involved and that was probably very likely the case.

8. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Foolish guy and what a foolish move to try and go down the chimney.

The only real sympathy I have for the guy is the way he died because that must have been pretty terrible. I can't help but wonder if it was the smoke what killed him or if it was the heat, or even a combination of the two.

9. 111kg

111kg Guest

I honestly don't have any empathy for people who die like this. It was their choice to try to enter a house (who knows what he would have done in there? what would have happened if he had actually succeeded to enter the house and someone was there) illegally that (stupid) way, therefore he assumed the consequences. One piece of s**t in minus. Good.

10. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I'm not too supportive of the way he died but yeah I agree with you there.

If he was willing to ransack the place then who knows what he would have done to any persons who may have been inside.