Investing in the prison industry ( profitable or not)

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Contrailla, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Contrailla

Contrailla Member

So many people are imprisoned in the US until it makes me wonder how much is justice and how much is just the business. I mean really, if you just think about the stuff people are imprisoned for one would pretty much agree that somebodies got to be making a killing off of peoples lives by putting them in prison. I live in a county that send probation violators to serve two or more years for failing a drug test, or not paying on their fine and knowing that the fine was ridiculously high to start with. I feel like it's all set up for people to fail. I don't know maybe I am the only one that thinks like this:confused:

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure it's very profitable for private companies in the prison industry. Especially seeing as how the government is so generous with our tax dollars and doesn't exactly keep a lid on expenses.

3. springbreeze

springbreeze Well-Known Member

I agree with JR Ewing. I'm sure the companies involved are making a lot of money. I also think that too many are going to jail for small crimes. It does not seem right that we have small-time, first-time offenders living in the same prisons as murderers and rapists. How will that help them with rehabilitation and find good jobs later.

4. turt

turt Guest

Yup, more of our tax money hard at work. Someone fails a drug test and forces tax payers to shell out $60,000+ to keep them in prison for two years? Sound like a great investment. Don't forget that they will not be producing anything in society and will have trouble finding a job. And don't forget that the really bad behavior of other inmates can rub off on the harmless.

5. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Its a sad business and its like the more people they could imprison the more these upper level law officials make. Its all a business when it comes to someone's criminal history or record. I don't think prisons are just a place for prisoners its a financial ground for the lawmakers to just play God and make money out of someone's life.

6. Dixons

Dixons Member

It's a very profitable business, however if it's ethical, that's a different matter entirely. The only way to increase profit is trough reducing the money spent on the well-being of inmates, resulting in poor quality food and living. Some might say it's what they deserve for committing a crime, but I disagree.

7. wvboarder

wvboarder Well-Known Member

Oh the struggle is real. The private systems show very little actual justice to their prisoners. They just want the money. And for that reason I could see it being a really lucrative investment. We have several regional jails in my state and they make more than any of our towns as a whole. It's pretty crazy when you stop and think about it.

8. AugustGreig

AugustGreig Member

The whole system is terribly corrupt. But, it is a money making behemoth. The fact that minor drug offenders that need treatment are charged as felons and incarcerated in prison is just ridiculous. And it becomes incredibly difficult for them to reintegrate into society once they are released, because the odds are already stacked against them. Privatizing the prison system does nothing but blow the doors wide open for corruption and conflict of interest. But, as it doesn't seem to be changing any time soon, it is probably a very good investment.

9. gekko41

gekko41 Active Member

Prisons will definitely grow, however, I doubt it would be possible to invest in them without some sort of inside connection. I agree with the popular view that jail does not help criminals, and may only reinforce their outlooks on life.

10. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

The things a minor offender could do would make them end up in a prison with the rough crowd. I would not be surprised with how much money the wardens are making off from these prisons. If the prisons were privately owned it would be more money from tax payers pockets.