Investment movies

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Gelsemium, May 21, 2014.

1. Leeroy_MY

Leeroy_MY Well-Known Member

Hahaha, I guess there aren't many movies about investing because the actual process looks pretty boring. The best things about investing are invincible to the eye, the click in your head as you pick up a good asset, the adrenaline rush, the accelerated heartbeat and that celebratory glass of whisky you sip as you stare at your money making a profit on the computer screen. It's not much fun unless you're the person experiencing it. :p

Those movies just want to focus on how those super rich spend their money instead.

Reminds me of this great quote I saw somewhere on the forums:

"Investing should be more like watching paint dry or the grass grow. If you want excitement, go to Vegas." -Paul Samuelson

2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Actually I think there are quite a few, not as many as lawyers ones of course. Great quote though, investing it's not about excitement, but more like growing a garden, it takes time for us to see our fruits.

3. abcdefghijun

abcdefghijun Member

It is worth watching. Go spend that 3 hours now watching that great film. :) I bet it won't dissappoint you since you are interested in stocks too.

4. Gelsemium

I agree, even though there aren't many three hours movie, it's a time well spent, I just saw it recently and I can recommend it, it's a good movie.

5. JaydonTyler

JaydonTyler Well-Known Member

The original Wall Street will always be my favourite until given a reason to think otherwise. the 2nd one was not good at all. The first one was, is and will always be a classic.

6. Gelsemium

I think that most investment movies are good. Investment it's a catchy topic that most people don't get, so a movie it's made so that people can understand something of course.

7. Annabell

Annabell Well-Known Member

There's one right on the tip of my tongue, which I remember as being quite informative while still being entertaining, but I just can't remember it right now for love or money. All I can think about is Ocean's Eleven, and obviously that isn't it!

8. Gelsemium

LOL, Ocean's Eleven is hardly an investment movie, well, unless you consider gambling and robbing an investment and that is true for some.

Here's an interesting article about investment shows. ;)

[h=1]Top 20 Films about Finance: From Crisis to Con Men[/h]

9. ColonelMustard

ColonelMustard Member

It's said before, but with a reason I guess. The three movies I would really like to recommend the original Wallstreet and The Pursuit of Happiness and, of course, The Wolf of Wallstreet.

I've seen the last one the most recently and I have to say I really liked the movie. Although I'm not the biggest fan of DiCaprio, I really loved his work in this film.

Oh and the Oceans film, like mentioned in the post above my post, are probably not the best movies if you're looking for an investment movie. But I would definitely recommend them anyway:)

10. Gelsemium

DiCaprio plays a good role, I'm not his biggest fan either, but he's good on this one.

I think I am going to look this one up, seems really interesting: Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005; documentary; 110 minutes; accounting fraud)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016