Investors Hoping For Economic Recovery To Pick Pace

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by PaulSchinider, Apr 15, 2014.

1. PaulSchinider

PaulSchinider Well-Known Member

Retail sales in March registered the highest growth in the last one and a half years, indicating that the US economy’s recovery will likely pick pace in the coming months

It looks like the US retail industry is finally shrugging off the wintertime frost. The US Census Bureau’s advance estimates of retail and food services sales for the month of March put the figure at $433.9 billion – a month-over-month increase of 1.1%. Retail sales had increased by only 0.7% in February.

The new estimates of sales growth in the retail sector – which rakes in 70% of all consumer spending in the US – top earlier projections of 0.8% growth. The Census Bureau’s report also reveals that 10 of the 13 categories, which include autos, furniture, and clothing, experienced a pickup in revenues. "This is not a fragile economy. The linchpin of economic growth, the consumer is back and with the consumer's help, growth will be even faster in 2014," said Chris Rupkey, chief financial economist at the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi. Sales of automobiles showed the steepest growth last month, jumping 9.5% from the same period of last year. “It was very encouraging to see the momentum continue to build as the month progressed,” Erich Merkle, a US sales analyst at automaker Ford Motor Company (F), said. “Is there more out there? I guess we’ll see when the market comes to us in April.”

2. jl1401

jl1401 Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but people often reflect upon when the economy is going to get better overall. The fact of the matter is that will be a continuous process over the next decade or so, not just contingent upon the amount of revenue put back in by consumers but the emotional aspects of the whole ordeal as well as the communication and system behind everything.

3. wanderingwildman

wanderingwildman Well-Known Member

Yeah. We are still in a long and slow recovery process. I still am very concerned with the future due to the happenings in Russia. I would like to believe this is a sign of glory days ahead. I am not totally invested yet.:)

4. BenBrabec12

BenBrabec12 Member

I work for The Home Depot, and can say honestly, that we have been doing very well as far as sales go. With the market starting to come back, more consumers are pouring in. Especially for contractors, it is easier for them to come in and make bigger orders, because they can get more work because more people need services! The market is a wondrous thing, and can be a lot of fun to look at. It really changes the demographic of consumer sales, so I'm not surprised to see big gains. Our new motto for the company ends with "WE KICK ASS" because of how well we did last year and how well we're doing so far this fiscal year. It has just started and my store constantly beats expected sales plans based off of last years sales marks. I wouldn't be surprised to see more climbs in the market for retailers over the next year. The more money in the economy, the better we will all do financially, according to my Economics professor. Wise man, if I must say so myself.

5. TraderJK

TraderJK Well-Known Member

Thanks for this insight into retail sales. You say that the more money in the economy the better we do. So you are saying that you believe that the Feds policy of quantitative easing is working and that it will continue to help the economy to grow? After all, what the Fed is doing is pumping money into the economy.

6. Lasonax

Lasonax Active Member

I hope they are right. But as others has already said, it's probably something that won't happen overnight. I tend to be optimistic about downfalls in the economy, that it will eventually go back up again, sooner or later. I'm glad to see that things are going up, even if it will be a slow process: we'll get there eventually.

7. waseem59

waseem59 Well-Known Member

The more investment the more profit, this the policy of retail sales, the retail market never goes down , if in some situations if it goes down you may not earn profits but you may not be in loss

8. mark973

mark973 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's a very slow process. It will be years before we a lot of noticeable recovery. However, any recovery is good and we know now that the only way to go now is up.