Is anybody else long on BlackBerry?

Discussion in 'Trade Journals & Stock Tips' started by gekko41, Aug 23, 2014.

1. gekko41

gekko41 Active Member

What are your thoughts on blackberry as a long-term investment?

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

So you're saying that Blue Horseshoe loves BlackBerry, Gordon? :D

It seems like a purely speculative play to me these days. I guess there's always a chance they can find a way to turn it around and become a big tech titan again, but they just seem to be dead in the water the last several years. Of course Apple was in a similar position a decade ago, so who knows?

One thing I have noticed though is that SAC Capital and DE Shaw both bought millions of shares this year, and both appear to still own the stock. SAC bought over 11 million shares in Q1, and these are two of the very best hedge funds out there. They could always be wrong, of course.

3. gekko41

gekko41 Active Member

BlackBerry CEO John Chen seems to have things under control with the new pivot towards the security industry. The reputation of the company is most likely its biggest downfall, as many of its talented engineers left for greener pastures when the company started its layoffs a few years ago. However, I'm going to hold the stock for at least a few more quarters to see what the have in store.

4. lei

lei Member

TBH

To be honest I don't think it is a good investment. They haven't really been going anywhere lately. I haven't heard much about them, and they having been innovating more than the other smartphone or phone compines. Back in the day it was a good investment but they havent came out with a new great device.

5. gekko41

gekko41 Active Member

They are trying to find a niche within the security industry, since they realized they can't compete any more in the regular smartphone market with Samsung/Google/Apple,etc.. In fact, they just acquired a security firm a few weeks ago.

6. BabyBear

BabyBear Active Member

As a consumer brand, they're completely dead, but there might still be enough there for them to rebuild the enterprise business. At least they're cash positive now, which means they have time to turn things around. It will be a long-term project though, so in addition to being a speculative play, this is probably one you have to be willing to sit on for a long time.

7. jmoriarty630

jmoriarty630 Member

I really don't think that Blackberry will grow anytime soon. I personally would stay out of buying from them.

8. ReDGuNNeR

ReDGuNNeR Member

Even with the hope for enterprise, every other company within the mobile arena has already overtaken or surpassed the security features that Blackberry was once famous for. Even the US government who was considered one of BB's largest contractors in the enterprise arena have found solutions to integrate users' existing iPhone or Android hardware in most non-top level security dealings.

I see no hope for the company in the recent future even with all the CEO's promises to turn the ship around. Their last offerings to consumers went out with a whimper and a fizzle. Both the Playbook and the Z10 Phones did nothing to capture the eyes of the marketplace. The company ignored innovation and hoped they would ride out the wave with the brand they had built in the previous decade. For wanting to coast they paid the price. I would not invest any money, even in a really, really long option. Sorry but there's been too much negatives from this company.

9. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Thank you ReDGuNNeR, completely noted everything down...:)

10. springbreeze

springbreeze Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a good investment right now. The trend is not going in their direction. But then who knows, if one day they come up with a great design or a great saving plan, maybe the tide will change. Trends are fickle like that.