Is anybody still paying off their student loan?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Allison2021, Nov 26, 2014.

1. ally79

ally79 Guest

I was lucky that the state I live in pays for your college education up to a Bachelor's degree as long as you keep a B average so I didn't have any student loans. My husband is going to school now with the the same program, between that and his Pell grant we don't have to pay school related expenses.

2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

It feels as though I will be paying off my student loan for the rest of my life. I am doing some extra work right now in hopes that I can make some extra money and pay the loan off sooner. The sad part is that I never finished and I don't even have a degree to show for it.

3. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Student loan...i don't have one and i pray i never get stuck in borrowing a loan for my studies...still on the fence in regard to what i want to do where education matters :)...really picky i must say ;)

4. wulfman

wulfman Guest

Wow really. I assume you have to attend a state university ? Even then that is some deal. This must have been awhile back. No offense. :p

Correction your husband is currently doing the same thing I see. What state is this ?

5. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

It is really sad that someone would have to pay their student loan even after a long time of completing their studies. I think it is really sad wh n you have much to pay. I hope such situations are avoided by many people out there.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

One thing to think about when it comes to student loans, is it really worth it to pay it back fast? I don't know how it's done in other countries, but in a lot of European one it's the governement that is backing the student loan and thus it has no risk for the bank issuing it... so this leads to a very low interest.

So if you have other needs for the money, such as getting a car, saving for a house, investing etc. It might be better to just pay the minimum you can for the student loan and use the money on other things, especially now in this current low interest situation.

7. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

Students loans in Europe are something not very common, at least in my country because usually the access to universities it's also not that expensive, it's a different reality we have here.

8. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Guest

I am in the process of doing so but it was not really a student loan of such. When I started my Med I had to seek funds to help me along from a financial institution. I am not through paying that off and I regret doing it everyday as it is extremely overwhelming. I heard one of the richest man in my country making a speech in relation to loans, he said that individuals should take loans as it is the only way that we will become rich. I did some thinking on this and could not arrive at any justifiable reason for him saying this other than the fact that he is the CEO of one of the country's leading financial institution.