Is being gay a sin?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by roger1003, Mar 18, 2016.

1. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Loving someone isn't a sin. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, even the Pope said so himself. What the Church is trying to protect is just the sanctity of marriage and not the idea of love in itself. Too bad the Philippines is such a conservative country-- I hope atleast civil union should be allowed because the law shouldn't prohibit us from marriage.

2. xTinx

xTinx Active Member

Well you are veering away from the topic at hand because of your impassioned view of sin. As much as you have the right to air out your opinion, what you said about people being able to choose what sin to commit is quite alarming. Imagine if all people think the way you do then the human race would have been extinct by now. Everyone would use their free will to kill, distribute drugs and commit all sorts of crimes since they can sin however they want to anyway. There would be no point in having a conscience. Ergo, your reasoning, as already mentioned, is flaky.

Now back to the topic here. Being gay isn't a sin if you love purely and sincerely, without consciously hurting others. That is all there is to it. Simple. Let's not get too carried away.

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Actually we should go a level lower. Who defines what sin is? Is it the church? The bible or society? So depending on who answers the question, the answers obviously would be different. Catholic priests for example who are very much against same sex relationships are hypocrites. So if the same people who say being gay is a sin and they themselves are gay what's the answer we get from them?

IMHO no man should call another a sinner because we all are sinners. Judge not . . .

4. djordjem87

djordjem87 Well-Known Member

I haven't read the Bible so thoroughly but if I had to make a wild guess I believe that there is something that exclusively pairs two of opposite gender. I am not homophobic but I am not pro gay either. I never judge and I never attempted to get why this happens because everybody should agree that it is not according to nature and its laws. The point of having reproductive organs is to reproduce and gay people cannot do that and from that aspect it is wrong.

We have invented emotions and love and everything that goes with it. Poems and sufferings, etc. From that point of view we shouldn't disturb love and those other stuff.

5. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

Gay-transman over here! :)
    I grow up on a really religious environment and the bible says that is a sin and stuff, but in the other hand, they tell you that you need to love and respect others, no - matter - what. And I've met a enormous amount of Catholics that are disrespectful and completely offensive against us, so, where their ideas are left? Don't are they who claim to be the image of God? Would God do what those people are doing to us? We're just people loving other people! What's wrong about that? We're not hurting anyone of them. Back to the question, no, I don't think that it's a sin, lol.

6. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member

It's a sin if you believe it is a sin. I'm not religious so I do not think it is a sin. I believe people are just born that way and it is a natural thing. Homosexuality is observed in other animal species and it just a natural deviation for some individuals.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I don't believe being gay is a sin. Whether it's their choice or not, that's still a hotly debated issue. But if it's easy to choose, I doubt they wouldn't choose to be straight. The thing is, it's very difficult to change your sexual preference. No matter how much we say that it is a sin because there are only two genders in the bible, the fact still stays that there is an increasing number of gays in the world. Do we condone or insult them just because of their gender?

I say no. Even if you're a devout Catholic, you cannot insult other people's sexual preference. You cannot judge them as well. The best thing that you can do is love them and pray for their salvation.

If you are not a believer of religion, then that's all the more reason for you to be open-minded about gays. After all, you have your own preferences about religion and they aren't judging your choices.

What I'm saying is, we're all born different. We cannot pressure people into becoming this or that, they have their own minds and choices. But as long as they aren't stepping over your right, then you shouldn't really have a problem with their choices.