Is Celibacy Still Relevant?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I don't know why the Catholics thought priests would do their work better if they didn't get married. Since they've been so many scandals involving priests molesting children it is obvious that the priests aren't as chaste as they'd like everyone else to believe. So why not simply drop the pretense and get married like everyone else?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I don't think not being allowed to get married gets you a free pass on molesting children. Isn't the whole thing in order to resist temptation or something? Looks to me like the priests are just horrible at doing that. :D

3. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

Yeah maybe they need to do a better job picked out who it is being picked as their ordained ministers.

4. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

People can choose to be celibate, but in history it didn't work as Popes had mistresses all of the time and illegitimate children. I don't think it's necessary, but traditions remain. Nuns that give birth has happened a few times, and I'm sure there were more births that have happened in secret. People naturally are drawn to relationships, so why should they be denied that opportunity and choose between that and a faith?

5. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I have never really understood the not getting married part. I don't see what that has to do with dedicating your life to God and teaching his beliefs. The Catholic Church is the only religion that believes this. Other religions you are allowed to get married and have a life outside of the church. To be celibate should be a personal choice not a requirement.

6. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Married or not getting married, it isn't gonna change them from being a nonce and molesting kids. If you've got urges like that then it's a problem that runs a lot deeper than some simple lifestyle.

I think that's needed is help, not a choice of marriage, although getting married to someone with kids would be a bad idea if you're that way inclined!

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Here's the difference between Catholic priests and leaders of other religions (pastors, ministers, etc). The Catholic priests are not allowed to have families because they have a vow of celibacy which puts them above the rest. When they die, they leave nothing. Leaders of other religions are succeeded by their children when they die. What is that? Is their religion like a corporation or a foundation where the chairman is selected by the outgoing chairman? Look at one religion founded here, the present head is the grandson of the founder who succeeded his father. In other words, it is a succession of family.

8. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I think celibacy is important for priests and monks because they also serve as a symbol for us laymen and professionals. They're supposed to be brothers in Christ and whatnot, leaders who are supposed to guide us spiritually and philosophically. They're only human, yes but I suppose they have to be better than that. Molesting a child is just criminal and immoral and no one should ever do it priest or not.

9. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Most churches these days are run like businesses. Everyone in the family is a preacher of some sort but the Catholic church IMHO isn't any better. It used to be a corrupt institution, got cleaned up a little after the reformation but soon after they began the descent to where they originally were. The facade of "holiness" does deceive many people. As for succession of Priesthood, in Israel only Aaron's descendants could be Priests. The Catholics should have used such a system.

10. djordjem87

djordjem87 Well-Known Member

I really do not see the point of this since the point of Christianity is the family. Pure and true love is relevant and priests are there to set examples to all believers. It really looks like God wanted them to stay alone forever just to serve him. Now, I am not very pious man and my knowledge about this is slim but my opinion is that if priests want to have families they should. What they should not do is making sins like adultery, gambling, killing, etc. Basically we all should follow these rules.