Is Celibacy Still Relevant?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Dec 30, 2015.

1. TaurusHorns

TaurusHorns Well-Known Member

There is a spectrum at play - some people are completely celibate, others abstain, others are near-free, others are promiscuous. Each one has a chance of producing more people, and we need people. To promote celibacy and say it is the only way is to devalue your fellow person by saying their life is not worth as much because it was born of sexual promiscuity. It is a personal choice.

2. Hedonologist

Hedonologist Well-Known Member

I don't see why Priests should remain chaste. I think it hinders anyone, and allowing them to marry would lead them to have happier, fulfilling and productive lives. Even if he is dedicated to the church, he can do that better by having a happier, more fulfilled love life.

3. xTinx

xTinx Active Member

I couldn't agree more. There's this homemade religion in the country founded by a guy named Felix Manalo and I'm sure you're aware of his group. It's been years since he died and built the religion but his descendants automatically succeeded him, giving no room for other members to succeed.

Celibacy is a vow and not everyone is strong enough to withstand it. It's not pretense, it's sacrifice - something many of us would rather scoff at because we're used to an easier and more carefree life. Although I don't really mind if priests marry, if they don't marry, it's likewise their prerogative. To each their own.

Practicing celibacy belongs to the higher plane. People who overcome their urges achieve a whole new spiritual level that we biologically driven humans cannot fully comprehend or grasp.

4. explorerx7

explorerx7 Guest

I wonder why Roman Catholics believe that if their Priests should get married it would be a problem. According to the Bible, marriage is an approved event in the sight of God. Probably Catholics believe that marriage and children would probably cause some distraction to the priests in the performance of their duties. However, because the many scandals that have resulted from rom the actions of some of the priests, I believe that it's time that the Catholic should rethink the strategy of not allowing priests to marry.

5. TaurusHorns

TaurusHorns Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure it is because you cannot be a father and a priest fully at the same time. Your priestly obligations would be damaging to your fatherly obligations, and your fatherly obligations would be damaging to your priestly obligations. I think not allowing a priest to marry is a little bit different than requiring them to not have children - they can always simply step down and say it's time for them to have a family, but once the child is there, staying is selfish and poorly thought out.

6. roger1003

roger1003 Active Member

You have a point there. I think priests should be given the freedom to love and marry. I don't know why a priest marrying is prohibited, maybe because they won't be able to focus on preaching? I don't really know. Maybe they have their reasons.

7. artyarson

artyarson Active Member

Well, they just deprive themselves of their natural needs satisfaction. The religion says one thing but the way a human body feels actually speaks way louder. So, I don't think that celibacy works well for anyone of them, especially those who are in their 20s or 30s.

8. Benoit W

Benoit W Well-Known Member

Сеlibасy dоеs nоt mеаn аbstinеnсе. Tо thе purists, сеlibасy - dеrivеd frоm thе Lаtin fоr unmаrriеd - mеаns а pеrmаnеnt stаtе оf bеing withоut sеx.Аbstinеnсе саn bе tеmpоrаry. Аnd it's pоssiblе tо bе аbstinеnt in а rеlаtiоnship. "Truе" сеlibасy mеаns а lifе withоut bоth sеx аnd а spоusе оr pаrtnеr. Оf соursе, thеrе аrе mаny whо givе it а lооsеr dеfinitiоn - mеrеly indiсаting sоmе sоrt оf соmmitmеnt tо bе withоut sеx.

9. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member

A celibate life is one of the most unnatural ways to live. It really is no surprise that priests have been involved in these horrific sexual crimes. Other denominations that allow their ministers/priests to get married and have sexual relations do not appear to have the same issues the Catholic church has had.

10. 3rdparty

3rdparty Member

sorry this made me laugh, your blind faith in an entity who messed up hard enough to have to purge a population (twice) and create his most relevant antagonist by his own flawed treatment of intelligence and the pursuit of information really tells on itself.

anyway, is celibacy still relevant? depends on what you mean. personally? for some folks it is very, very relevant, like the fellow talking of his religion a few posts back. my personal belief is anything applied systemically is to be wary of, including the rules and regulations around religious/cultural celibacy. no one concept can be applied to a large group of people as everyone differs, so naturally we have priests who cannot handle the vow of celibacy and deviate from it through various means.

in terms of celibacy on a social level? i don't think the average person even knows what celibacy is or what it actually means, as this thread proved. therefore i don't consider it relevant except in a certain few situations. celibacy hardly matters to the average joe.