Is giving birth the most evil thing one could do?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Amin, Sep 14, 2015.

1. ARP

ARP Member

To give birth is to create a potential for someone knew. As Jodi Picoult wrote in "My Sister's Keeper" people have kids for many different reasons. Not all of them are good reasons. But the moment a child comes out of the womb, the have made an impact on the world, almost always a positive one.

2. jfrack

jfrack Guest

Woah giving birth is not the most evil thing you can do. In fact it is one of the greatest things you can do. Birth gives somebody else a chance to succeed, enjoy life, and change the world. Yes life does have many ups and downs but abortion deprives somebody of the ability to enjoy (or hate) life and make their own decisions,

3. danben

danben Member

No. Life is the greatest gift you can give. This is why so many believe that abortion is wrong, for it deprives someone the chance of a happy life and the ability to change the world.

4. djordjem87

djordjem87 Well-Known Member

From some philosophical point of view I understand what you want to say but it is quite normal to give birth to a child or children. Inequality in the world is caused by people and while some of us think this is pointless some would beg to differ with the statement. One thing you said that I cannot approve. You said animals are not aware of what is going on. They are fully aware on the level they can and they should be. We think that we are smarter but in fact we just evolved in a better way and our brains as well. Now the way we use this gift is something totally different. You cannot say a smart man will go in a skirt on -15 just to look "good" and to drink until she vomits on herself. This is what we do.

We should have children but we should also raise them correctly in order to make this world a better place or maybe the point of living is just your own ass and when you see a starving child you should just turn your chick and get back to your happy family claiming that it is not your fault when actually it is everyone's fault.

5. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

Giving Birth is not the evil thing. Leaving Hell for next generation is the most evil thing one could do.

6. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well life can be cruel it is true, but I think you have to look at life as a gift otherwise what is the point? We are here and if we don't like the world is, we can try to make it a better place during our short time on this planet. It is the whole is the glass half empty or half full thing. Those with a positive attitude are happier.

7. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Active Member

I kind of agree with OP. I personally don't think that giving birth is an evil act in itself because the instinct to procreate is an intrinsic feature of life, and humans, like every other living organism in the earth, are almost compelled to act on it. That is simply how Nature and Natural selection works.

But I do believe mindless, senseless procreation is neither good for us as a species, nor for the Earth where we reside. The natural balance among myriads of species is maintained often by three processes. Firstly, there are certain seasons (mating seasons) when, and only when animals tend to procreate. Secondly, the predator-prey relationship that plays a major role in checking the overgrowth of a particular species and disruption of the environmental balance. And finally, diseases, both infectious and non-infectious, that also check this population overgrowth.

As long as these three factors are in place and working, animals need not worry for 'over-procreation', because they will just balance it out eventually. Until a few centuries ago, humans were the same, and by all accounts of history and science, there was not an instance of 'human overpopulation' (and just in case, our ancestors reproduced like crazy. Just ask your history teacher :p).

But we as a species learned to actually get out of the clutches of all three of these governing factors. And by doing that not only do we have achieved immensely but also landed a responsibility to check ourselves because you bet we can't expect the Earth to do that for us anymore. At this point of time, either we take responsibility for our own actions by stopping the mindless and senseless reproduction, or we act like a kind of bacteria, which has become resistant to almost all of the Earth's immune responses, and has only one fate, to multiply and multiply until there is nothing left of the infected system and without any sustenance, the bacteria itself dies.

8. lucy2017

lucy2017 Member

In all honesty, we are all just animals. And animals naturally breed and create further generations. Also later generations will not live in the same kind of world we live in - it changes drastically all the time. Life is what you make it, and how you perceive. There are many greater evils in the world, I personally see it as a blessing.

9. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I am a parent and my pregnancy and childbirth was a very complicated one but I will always think of giving birth as the best thing that ever happened to me. My baby and I were both on the brink of death when I gave birth to him and every minute that we survived during our crucial stages were very precious for me and my family. Life and bringing life into this world is a gift we should all be thankful for no matter how painful our lives have been.

10. eddiemoneys

eddiemoneys Well-Known Member

In a world of people who do wrong by design, it would take an entire world and the consent of each and every individual in it to stop the wheel that is turning. While I see it entirely possible for births to be valuable, even sacred if they do something exceptional and unique that benefits the planet or more than the planet before their life's end...I simultaneously see the majority of people on the planet as taking their life and its meaning for granted. I also believe that animals have more of an understanding and better handle on being here than humans do, because they don't tend to deviate or do things so horrendous that they destroy the entire ecosystem or risk destroying the planet in the process of experimenting with something. Their actions are nature-based, rather than greed or ego based, and unlike humans, their disregard is rarely if ever on purpose. It is humans who have no idea what they are doing here or right from wrong ultimately in large numbers, not animals. Most people are parasitic upon the Earth and take more than they give, and seldom if ever break even to just give back or replace anything they need or take. There may have been a time that humanity was far more reciprocal and considerate of the needs of one another, but outside select places like monasteries and Amish country, you just don't see that respect for other life anymore by majority. You can still make this a better place and be the change that you wish to see in the world, but that's never an easy task because of all the people and things against you.

Is giving birth the most evil thing one could do? If they have no intention of being a good person to their offspring or giving them what they need, then yes. It can be quite cruel and undeserved. If they have the best of intentions and they actually see them through? Then, it can be a gift. Ether way, you're here and should always make the most of it while time lasts.