IS/ISUS/ISIL/Daesh is upping the anti...

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by baudwalk, Nov 19, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

... and really ticking off the world community. News tonight includes the Chinese vowing "justice" for the execution of a Chinese hostage (http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/18/beij...hinese-captive-comes-after-paris-attacks.html) and the publication of a photo of a bomb similar to the one used to down the Russian passenger plane in Egypt (http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/18/isis-releases-image-of-russian-plane-bomb.html). I think I would worry if I had Russian and Chinese military after me. I can't imagine presidents Putin and Xi fooling around as some other unnamed person is doing. As used throughout history, "let loose the dogs of war."

And an aside: I found an interesting article that explains the many names for the terrorists (http://www.religionnews.com/2015/11/17/isis-isil-daesh-explaining-many-names-terrorists/) now that France24 TV is providing non-stop news of the aftermath in Paris.

2. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Apparently what ISIS is doing is force the world to send in troops to fight them something they can turn to their advantage if they can convince Muslims that the world is united against their religion. I doubt think that China will join the war against ISIS any time soon even though a Chinese citizen was murdered by ISIS.

3. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

That seems to be their plan. I don't think Muslims worldwide would be on board with waging all out Jihad.

4. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

ISIS has pretty much signed their own death sentence here. They've got France now co-ordinating attacks with the Russian military who have now started using strategic bombers in the region, and now it's possible China might come into the fray. This is getting pretty serious because the big guns are coming out and they are not messing with puny attacks any more. I would be worrying if I was an ISIS member.

I am a little disappointed with Obama's actions over this though. In the wake of the recent attacks I was hoping he would announce that American forces would also be co-ordinating strikes with the Russians and the French. Bit of a let down that, and I do like Obama, but not as much as I did...

5. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Susimi, just a little disappointed with Obama's actions? You must be either exceedingly forgiving or polite or a politician. :)

6. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I think that there is more going on underground to combat ISIS than the public need to know right now. It's wise not to let the enemy know too much, otherwise you lose the advantage. Suffice to say, all countries are on alert and resources that the public may not even know exist are being deployed.

With an upcoming election it is hard for the US politicians. At least Obama isn't involved too much, but it's what the next administration will do to continue the work that has begun. This war will not be over for a long time, but I do hope I am wrong in this.

7. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Syria peace talks have been restarted while hope for peace might still be rather dim considering the fact that Assad knows he'll be executed when he loses the elections, Russia is quite serious about restoring peace to Syria and that's what matters. When the Syrians unite then fighting terrorist groups will be easier. Should ISIS be dislodged from Syria [and it's possible] then the war could be over within 3 or so years. Small terror cells will still be active but these can't cause the sort of damage ISIS regularly does.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

The worst thing that IS could do was blow up the Russian airliner because when it comes to issues regarding protecting their own, Putin won't mess around like other countries do.

The question is, should other countries such as the US and the UK join forces with him like he wants?

9. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Several retired generals have said that we could easily demolish ISIS in a few weeks if we wanted to.

10. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I try to have a good word to say about everyone and I have to admit that I do like Obama, but he has seriously dropped the ball on this one.

I haven't been keeping up too much with how people feel about him lately, like I don't know the details but I basically know that a lot of Americans do not like him and I have heard that he is trying to put himself in a good light before he leaves office. Well, why not announce your co-ordination with the other forces out there in attacking ISIS? That would at least turn some peoples views on him around, right?