Is it time to finally stand up to the Saudis?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Dejik, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

They might try may invest in something else before it's too late :)

Anyway, Sweden has made an attempt to stand up to the Saudis and for doing so, they are going to lose $1.3 billion a year from [exports to] Saudi Arabia. Considering the fact that a number of other monarchies in the ME have spoken out against Sweden's criticism of Saudi Arabia I suppose they too might also turn their backs on Sweden. Maybe the U.S is unwilling to pay a huge price for any criticism . . .

2. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

Maybe one big factor why the US can never go against Saudi Arabia is the issue on oil. We all know that oil is so precious that we might not be able to survive well without it. And that's where the Arabs come in. It's hard to admit but since they supply majority of our oils, they certainly hold a big part of the world's economy.

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I vote for Americans to stay out of the middle east. They don't want us there. Regardless of the oil that is present we should step back and mind our own business.

As far as saying that they are a backwards society. Their culture is older then American history. If they were here before the West, is it to hard to say that we are the backwards society?

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I disagree about staying out. It would be nice if isolationism worked and we could all just mind our own business and everyone would behave. But it doesn't work - human nature doesn't operate that way, and many people are fanatics.

If / when we leave a region open militarily, a vacuum is created that is usually quickly filled by one or more fanatical peoples. Isis is a perfect example. And if we don't protect our interests and maintain some sense of sanity in these regions, it will blow up in our faces and the world's faces sooner or later.