Is it Time to Stand Up Against ISIS?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by gracer, Apr 26, 2015.

1. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Where is UniCeF...while children are caught up in such skirmishes?... i thought that particular body was all in helping children caught up in such situations?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

They won't go anywhere near war zones. And rightfully so, they would just be putting themselves in unnecessary danger.

3. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

True and I can't argue with that. That is until ISIS carves out a nation-state and starts threatening the rest of the world. That would be everyone's problem.

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

We need to protect our interests and maintain our position as the world leader. If we step off the world stage and allow other aggressive nations like Russia, Iran, China, etc to become the leaders, our own (and other weaker nations') interests and national security will suffer greatly, and the world as a whole will be far worse off.

5. Hedonologist

Hedonologist Well-Known Member

How so? The US (and UK) would be far better off if we didn't waste so much money in these foreign interventions, aside from sparing ourselves from such massive debt, we would also be able to divert our military budgets to improving defence, rather than using it for offensive missions.

6. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

In related news, it looks like their leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, has been paralyzed by a spinal injury. It was from an airstrike that hit is position. Details can be read about here.

7. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

If this is true and he dies, would the next possible leader of ISIS make a difference. Would he be able to make re-arrangements with the strict literalism of their group?

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

If you think we would be better off not protecting our interests, and that the world would be better off with Putin or one of the middle east nuts as the global dictator, I don't know what else to say to you... :D

9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I'm sure he has a successor. It be business as usual with ISIS. They will still continue to do as they please, that includes beheading and mass killings. I just hope the Taliban shaves down their numbers a bit.

10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

As evil as it may sound, you do have a point. It is a necessary evil. If the US stand by and let other countries take control of particular interest, the US would miss out on a opportunity to capitalize on. Trying to balance morality and self preservation is a tricky one in these forums. In the real world and business, it is cut throat, literally. Another point taken.