Is the US wrong for getting involved in global issues?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by alexisfinch24, Jun 16, 2014.

1. alexisfinch24

alexisfinch24 Well-Known Member

I see this alot in the news so I wanted to see what everyone on here thought about the role the United States is taking in the global community. Are our leaders wrong? Do you support the positions our government takes? For instance The Russian debate and The Middle East. Once everyone starts posting then I will share my position. Don't be shy. And, lets keep it cival everyone.

2. turt

turt Guest

I don't really know what goes on in the government but my assumption has always been that the US government acts in its own self interest. It will get involved if it thinks there will be some sort of gain. There's tons of bad governments that the US never gets involved with - but they don't have anything substantial...

3. alexisfinch24

First of all, thank you so very much for responding to my topic. And, I completely agree with you. The United States only gets involved against "bad" governments if there is some type of substantial gain for the country to come out of taking a stand against the target country and its leaders.

Personally, I believe that our leaders should take the example of other nations and, observe more while maintaining our reputation in the world of defending liberties of those who have them taken from them due to some tyrannical leader of another country like Russia's President Putin.

But, there are other countries experiencing the same libertarian injustice at the hands of tyrants that are not so public or, have no real political or financial importance and, we do nothing to aid them. If we do then it is not on the level of what we have done in the Middle East or Ukraine.

4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I think the US only gets involved if we have something to gain from it, or if our national security could be threatened if we did not intervene. That being said, I heard that we might be going back to Iraq because of the civil war that is about to break out? Anyone know anything about this?

5. alexisfinch24

I actually just heard something about this on the news less than an hour ago. It is a possibility that we could go back due to an outbreak of civil war over there but, the President has said it would be a small scale involvement and, probably just to ensure our national security. I think we should watch closely but, hold off. Give them a chance to resolve the issues for themselves and, in a diplomatic way. Im afraid we are being seen more as bullies in the international community and not keepers of the peace.

6. richc3

richc3 Senior Investor

I trust that while I may not understand the full lengths of their involvement in regard to global issues, I do genuinely believe it's all in the scope of the best interests of... the USA. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if you're a shareholder of sorts and want your CEO to do whatever it takes to create soaring profits as well as maintain a position of top dog.

That said, we often hear of the mistakes the US has made and while hindsight is 20/20, like I said, I do trust that the initial plan was overall done with good intentions in regard to the USA as a whole.

Do what you need to do, even if the rest of us have to cover our eyes some times.

7. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

I agree this is what should be done and I sure hope we do it. Not sure they'll want to "play nice" though since they're already getting closer and closer to Baghdad. I've heard the White House said "no boots on the ground" but most of us are old enough to remember that same thing being said other times... right before the "boots" were sent in, so I'm cautiously optimistic but will believe it when I see it.

8. alexisfinch24

Most of us are old enough to have heard that before in one or two more administrations. I beleive once we are involved in something we need to finish what we started for our protection and security. We should get involved where it is warranted for us to but, those places we have no business we should keep away and focus more on our domestic issues at home than a foreign issue.

9. suiac

suiac Guest

I'm not very into US politics, but it seems that the government is constantly involving in different global issues. On one side, this may seem that they actually care about the rest of the world and I see nothing wrong in that.
    But then again, they're probably doing this in their own interesent, the American government can do whatever it wants.
    I think they should probably start getting involved in less foreign problems.

10. alexisfinch24

You have a good point. Even if that is not true. It is how we are becoming viewed in the world and, that is not what is best for America. Our children and their children will suffer because of us being seen like this. It is the future of our descendants that we are setting the course for now and, the politicians need to start thinking about that. The old saying sweep around your own front door before you sweep around someone else's.