Is the US wrong for getting involved in global issues?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by alexisfinch24, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

Your welcome
    What is interesting to me is that people can be given exactly the same information but can interpret it totally differently and each be convinced they have arrived at the 'correct' opinion. Eg, there are undoubtedly many people who would agree with this presenter and many that would agree with Russell Brand's take... but the facts are the same. I cannot understand how people can justify engaging in atrocities against innocent people because they are enraged or fearful of other's barbarism half way around the world.

I mean, please explain it to me. U.S Foreign Policy is to fund, train and encourage 'freedom fighters for 'democracy', inc ISIS, in bringing down an elected Government in Syria but when those 'allies' turn around and try to depose the U.S instituted Iraqi Govt, they become 'terrorists'. One foot over the line in Syria = 'heroic freedom fighter', one foot over the line in Iraq= 'crazed terrorist'. But who always suffers? The normal, peaceful citizens, especially the weak and young.

http://rt.com/usa/168704-russell-brand-fox-news/#.U60iSomtrk8.twitter

“Don’t think of a bomb as going down there and destroying stuff, think of it as like a seed that goes into the ground, and grows insurgents out of it, it creates more terrorism, doing it.”

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  2. Annabell

Annabell Well-Known Member

My point is that it isn't a totally unrealistic thing to say that by getting rid of one threat, we either open the way for a worse threat, or are actively supporting a worse threat in the hopes that they'll help us take down our current enemies.

3. alexisfinch24

alexisfinch24 Well-Known Member

It is a double edge sword I'm afraid. In order to defend liberty worldwide we risk creating more enemies but, by not doing anything we risk being seen as weak and ignorant of threats to our realm. We must always stand up for injustice no matter what the price. If not we are leaving the door open for it to come to us. Now, I am not saying every fight is ours to wage but, we must observe everything. And, if the need merits it then, yes, we get involved no matter what. Take that how you want. But, history favors the bold who stand against wrong. Not the ones who stand by allowing it to happen.

4. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Yep, yep. If a country takes on the attitude of "oh well, la la, it's not our problem that people are getting killed and brutalized over there, we have our own problems" then it's really like watching a murder on the street and thinking "whew, glad that's not me" and walking away without as much as a call to 911.

I agree that not every fight is ours... and that's a sore spot with me. :D But some of them just absolutely NEED to be fought or it makes us no better than the terrorists if we stand by and watch it thinking "whoa dude, glad that's not us!" Well guess what? With that attitude, some day it WILL be us!

5. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

What 'threats' specifically and what scope do you attach to "our realm"?

So do you see America as the 'World Police' ? If so why not invade Saudi Arabia, Oman, Egypt, Zimbabwe, North Korea etc.... Oh strike the last, tried that and failed, same as Vietnam, Cambodia, Afghanistan etc

As for 'no matter what the price', that is false because otherwise 'it would not be in America's best interests' and obviously the 'ultimate price is the destruction of the entire planet.

Or inviting it to come to you in the form of retaliation for the atrocities carried out in the name of freedom. It is a contradiction to enforce 'your version of freedom' on others.

Ah, a caveat. So you mean if it benefits America.

Interesting question is, what do you mean by 'in America's best interests', i.e. Corporate American interests, the interests of the American people, the 19 year olds sent off to kill, die, be maimed or poisoned and then return to commit suicide or live in destitution, the poor and unemployed?

There is no such thing as 'definitive good and evil', it is subjective. People like George Bush and Tony Blair may think it 'good' to kill millions and attempt to bring on Armageddon but most people would see it as evil or deranged. The church thought they were doing God's work when they instigated the inquisition and The Yorkshire Ripper, (Peter Sutcliffe), thought likewise when he murdered many prostitutes.

My view is the U.S is in big trouble and is attempting to empire build in a last ditch effort to try and save itself. Resources, (especially oil and gas) and Corporate greed is why America is 'interfering', (to put it politely), all over the world and most of the world does not like it any more than you would like it if Russia spent $5 billion in promoting insurrection in Washington and ringed American borders with a 'missile defense system'.

There needs to be a balance of power because absolute power corrupts absolutely. If America does not de escalate its warmongering, I think there is every chance that Bush's wished for Armageddon may become a reality but I guess it won't unduly affect him as he will undoubtedly have access to palatial, nuclear bomb shelters.

6. alexisfinch24

alexisfinch24 Well-Known Member

I commend you for standing up for what you think is right, but that does not give you the right to attack me for standing up for what I believe, as well. Who are you to judge me and insult me for stating my opinion on a global issue? That is not fair. Not once have I bashed you for your beliefs or, I have never insulted you for stating how you see things.

That is not what this thread was about. I see all your points and, a simple answer to what you have stated and asked is no America is not a tyrant taking from those we deem as "anti-democratic" or "terrorists". I don't care how many links you post or, what you say after this rebuttal. Because, I know that we are fighting for freedom and those soilder's lives are not lost invain. They fought for America and, the belief that freedom and democracy should belong to the entire world. Yes, there are corrupt people who give our cause a bad reputation and, fuel the fires that burn inside you against the cause.

We are not all perfect like you must be to lay down such judgements on those of us who support the cause. I am a truly democratic person and, I believe you are entitled to have this opinion. But, don't you dare attack me because I believe that you are wrong just as much as you think I am. I can post just as many links to support my side, too. However, this thread is just for ua to declare how we see our countries involvement in global issues. Now this is the end of my part in this debate. Take care and best of luck to you.

7. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

So... where ya from, Casper? Bet it's not near where I live because you wouldn't have asked what the threat is if you'd been in New York City one September day in 2001. Bet ya didn't have someone dear to you having a meeting at the Pentagon that same morning either, eh? Oh no, wait, that was me.

Asking what threat ISIS poses to the rest of the world pretty much says that you haven't a clue who they are or what they could do. You're under 30, yes? Maybe under 25? (Of course you don't have to answer that, but my own curiosity is killing me.)

In any case, the attack you made on alexisfinch24's PERSONAL opinions was not called for. Adults hold conversations with varying opinions in a way that verbal attacks are not part of it. Take note on how alexisfinch responded to your attack... not with a counter-attack. I'm thinking I may not have had quite so much restraint after being attacked for my beliefs. I do understand that you may live in a country where you don't have freedom to state your beliefs without being attacked, but in a public forum, it should be brought under control, don't you think?

I'd answer the rest of your points here, but... nah. I'll wait for a debate that follows the rules and uses words that aren't so filled with poison.

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't bother with those who think America needs to weaken itself and allow others strength and power in the name of fairness or any other fantasy.

We're starting to see what weak foreign policy will do to America.

I'd rather we would have continued being the strongest and the one true superpower. It won't be so great for us and the rest of the world when Putin and various radical muslim factions are suddenly more powerful than the US. There's no question that the world as a whole is better off with us in charge. It will be far, far worse - not just for us, but for just about everybody - when we're not.

Again, I'm all about what is in our best interests first and foremost. And I'm a proud veteran who lived with the thought that I could have easily been killed in a conflict for several years. No sane person wants conflict, but there are times when it's necessary to stand up against fanatics who want to make the US weak or who even want to impose their barbaric religion on everyone else. In some countries and cultures, homosexuals are beheaded, women are forced to cover themselves and walk ten feet behind men, rape victims are stoned to death, jihad warriors will get 72 virgins after dying for Allah, and people with different religious views are to be destroyed. I'll take the good ole USA over that any day. Go live in one of those nations for a week if you think otherwise and get back to us.

9. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

I am sorry you feel attacked. Please point out where I have attacked you personally and I will apologise if I think it merits one.

Sorry I must have read it wrong... Forum.... Politics... Is the U.S wrong for getting involved in global issues? A thread which you started and presumably one which you wanted a broad section of views from.

I simply thought invading sovereign states, starving people to death through sanctions, fomenting unrest and toppling democratically elected governments and supporting tyrannical dictators may well fall into that category, so I politely expressed my view and some information which underpins my view.

Unfortunately, you have said you no longer wish to engage, which I think is a shame because I am trying to understand why people think it is right for the U.S to engage in these endeavors.

And as I said, many have returned fatally scarred both in mind and body, totally disillusioned and feeling they were duped and on top of that they are often treated like terrorists or outcasts.

I am far from perfect and never will be but right or wrong we all judge, it is part of being human. That I judge differently to you is neither here nor there, other than when these judgements are sought to be imposed by force on an opposing viewpoint, violence usually results. I just think it about time we settled things without going to war. That is not to say I am a pacifist but that military action should be for defence only and I do not buy the 'attack is the best form of defence' argument.

I would find it interesting if you did post information to back up your views but that is up to you. Please be assured the attack was not on you but on your views, which I see as dangerous, misguided and opposite to my views. You stated you research things so I was interested to know how you justify your position but I guess I will never know now.

You may be interested to know, I used to hold similar views to you but that was before I started analysing things and discovering that 'all is not necessarily as it seems'.

10. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

Lol, now that's what I call a personal attack.