Is There Any Reason Why We Should Fear Death?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Dec 15, 2015.

1. SandyM

SandyM Well-Known Member

I think what people fear is irrelevance. We spend a lot of time here building what we hope is a relevant life. So if you leave that all behind, it is natural that you don't want to feel that it is wasted. Of course, we also fear the unknown. It's only natural. It might be encouraging to think about the fact that we've only been successful at relevance for about 6,000 years or so. Even the most "relevant" people in history are only fairly current in the 10,000 years of homo sapien history that we know, and even then, we don't know if that will stand the test of time.

Pretty much. I don't think you'll be able to remember or conscious of either. So it all works out. Just make the most of the time you are here.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Death is scary when you are not ready for it. When you haven't fulfilled your dreams or when you are not satisfied with your life yet. It is extra scary when you haven't done any good deeds in your life. Or when you have done more bad deeds than good deeds. It is scary when you know you cannot wake up anymore and leave your loved ones by themselves. But it is more scary when you don't know for sure what is after death. That's what's putting people in fear of death.

3. djordjem87

djordjem87 Well-Known Member

I don't know what to say about this. What is there to be afraid of? You are going to nothingness. If it is to believe the infidels so there is nothing to be afraid of. I think it is much scarier if you are a believer. What if you go to hell even though you repent for the sins? What if the punishment is inevitable and we got the message all wrong? Or if you reincarnate. What if you become something hideous? A lot of question from that one question can be derived. We are not afraid of death but rather the type of death. We would all like to go easy. In sleep, probably. But even that is like. Okay, I'm dreaming and then blackness. but you shouldn't even know about blackness because you wouldn't BE.