Is This The Right Plan?

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by Turbolag, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Turbolag

Turbolag Active Member

So I went to the broker the other day and just wanted to put an investment strategy together.

He suggested to put as much into the 401k as you can, and try to pay off my car note ahead of time. He said I could start an IRA if I had any left over.

I was thinking, if I have any leftover I was going to put it into Betterment. What are everyone's thoughts?

I only have out $100 in their so far. Currently, they have my portfolio at 90% stocks, and 10% bonds.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm not really familiar with Betterment, but Nerd Wallet gave them 5 stars: https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/betterment-review/

I think that if your car is in good shape and not likely to be costing you much $ in the way of repairs for the foreseeable future, and if you're going to be keeping your car for a while, it's probably not a bad idea to pay it off ASAP if it won't likely put you into a bind financially to do so.

It is usually a good idea to max out your 401k as well - particularly if the fees aren't bad, if you have some variety of investments to choose from, and if your employer offers some matching.

3. Turbolag

Turbolag Active Member

Thanks JR. I was going to try and put as much as I can into Betterment. I think they do ETFs.

I’m not ready to make my own picks. Except some penny stocks, just for fun.

What about index funds? How do you find a good one to invest in?

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Many people like Vanguard - they're a huge company that has been around for a long time, and their fees are rather low.