ISIS Could Target the Philippines

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by gracer, Jan 17, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

After the recent terrorist attack in Jakarta, Indonesia which has been linked to ISIS, fears of targeting the Philippines next are now going around in the local news. Abu Sayyaf, a local terrorist group in the southernmost part of the country is now believed to have been recognized by ISIS as part of their group. The leaders of this notorious local terrorist group have allegedly sworn allegiance to ISIS, which aroused fear among the citizens of the Philippines. Security is now being heightened especially since an international Catholic convention is going to be held here on the last week of January.

Below is a link to the story:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/jakarta...mic-state-could-target-philippines-1452838043

2. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

They will attack anywhere, and probably have plans to do so. How many that are actually averted the public may never actually know. Any huge public gathering is a potential target, but should that stop people going? People can't live like that because it means they have won.

3. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

That's essentially how terrorism works.
    They stoke fear and terror in people by pretending they can strike anywhere anytime.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Yup. Sadly it looks like they are almost capable of that nowadays. I don't think I can name a country where I'm sure that they couldn't be able to pull of a small scale attack.

5. 111kg

111kg Guest

This is why anyone linked to acts of terrorism, even people who cover terrorist but are not implied themselves, must receive the death penalty. The terrorists can very well plan even behind prison bars, no cell block will keep them from doing what they know best.

I am not in the favor of the death penalty in a lot of cases, but when in comes to killing hundreds of people over some stupid religion, kill them, kill them all.

6. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

I'd definitely be worried to be a Filipino at one of those big festivals. I'm sure their security is heightened, but they don't have the type of intelligence we have here in the United States, and we still have been unsuccessful in stopping attacks here. The only thing that might be solace would be the fact that the Abu Sayef are localized on Mindanao an island separated from the more populated areas.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

There is an item in the papers that say ISIS is trying to establish a recruitment center down south of the Philippines. It is logical since the recent bombing in Indonesia may be a prelude of what to expect in southeast Asia. And to think that the southern Philippines is the territory of Filipino Muslims, it is a possible scenario that the next bombing would be there.

8. petesede

petesede Guest

The southern main island of the Philippines has always been covered with terrorists/gangs. That part of the country leads the world in ransom kidnappings where they will target foreigners and then force the family to pay. It is a very different place than the rest of the country where I always felt safe.

the thing is, those guys are always throwing themselves with whomever happens to be ´famous´ at the moment. I do not think anything will change with them, I just think they are doing it to make their ransom letters more dangerous sounding. I don´t think their politics or goals will change.

9. phoenix2015

phoenix2015 Well-Known Member

Isis could really target anywhere, if you think about it. Only intelligence agencies can have any kind of educated guess at where they might attack next. But, the focus, in my opinion should be on destroying their base operations in Syria and Iraq.

10. anders

anders Well-Known Member

Really, the only way to prevent islamic terrorism in your country is to completely ban moslems from entering or staying in your home nation. Trump has essentially implied this, and the liberal media slaughtered him for it. But he was only speaking the truth, a truth unpalatable for many.....