Jehovah Witnesses a cult?!?!

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by MNyte, Aug 7, 2015.

1. MNyte

MNyte Member

I know, it sounds bad and all, but their practices and beliefs are that of a cult. First off, they have a hierarchy - men above women and children. Then, they claim that only a select few will become Angels, like the pastors, or "elders". Jehovah witnesses are being sued due to neglect and rape - what a good reputation to have! They tell followers not to socialize with immoral evil, or non-believers! What is that?

2. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure about the not socialize with no believers thing... My family is catholic and my mom has a Jehovah Witness friend and she's really close to the family, but doesn't seems to care that much about our beliefs, we obviously don't talk about that subject when we're together, but she seems kind of open minded about it.

3. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I too have some relatives who are Jehovah's Witnesses, my family and I are Catholics but we don't have any conflicts when it comes to our relatives and friends who belong to other beliefs or religion. I guess the best thing we have been doing is simply avoiding the topic about religion when we get together because no matter how many debates or discussions would come out, no one will ever really win. I believe religion is a very complex topic to be talked upon casually so just as a way of showing respect for each others' beliefs, we don't talk about them. :)

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

When any group desires to control the minds of those who they draw into their group then that group should be labeled a cult. Jehovah witnesses doctrines are not only false but they are designed to enslave [the minds] of their church members and once they [newly recruited Jehovah witnesses] have been brainwashed nothing can convince them to leave the cult. Suffice it to be said that the Jehovah witnesses are a non-Christian cult.

5. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Jehovah Witnesses are rapists now?...I've grown up with such people as friends, acquaintances and neighbors but never at one time saw that evil trait in them...any way the world is revolving at a fast rate and people are losing their minds...I don't like calling this group or that group a cult or whatever, further more, there is freedom to choose whatever religion one wants...right?

6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I had a Jehovahs Witness friend for years. We talked a lot about religion and the differences between Christians and Witnesses. He brought up a few contradictory points in Christianity. It did make a lot of sense. However, I dropped Christianity a long time ago and listening to another person talk about how their religion is the "truth", made me want to vomit.

Jehovahs Witness and Mormons are in this special group that outsiders are not allowed in. If you break one of their rules, you get disfellowshipped and there is hell to pay to get back in. Some Witnesses that I know walk around and look down at others, because they truly believed that they are above us. That really pisses me off on how some of them act.

Later in life I became close to a Jew and we had a lot to say about Mormons and Christians. It's weird how every religion can talk down about each other. But it seems that everyone loves to pick on the Mormons. It's great and funny as hell.

7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I would not go as far as to say that Jehovahs Witnesses are a cult, but some of them take the religion to an extreme. The same thing can be said with other religions as well, it really just depend on the sector of the people. I had a friend in school who was a Jehovah's Witness and their family invited me to the church and treated me like a welcomed guest. I never got into it, but the experience was interesting. There have been recorded incidents of Mormon extremists, and even Muslim extremists, and others I can't think of right now. It really just depends on who is in charge at the specific church. The part about men being above women and children is not that uncommon in the church setting. I do not think it has to do with the fact that men are better than women, but that men are supposed to take care of the women and children. This thinking is a little outdated, but it has played out in history over and over again.

8. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

This is kind of my belief on the whole thing too. Other religions could be considered a cult too when it is taken to extreme. It depends on the leader of the church. Also, most religions but the man as the head of the family above the women and the children. It is not just the Jehovah's that do. How many religions still have "obey" in the wedding vows? It is just the way that a lot of religions believe. So that Jehovah was considered a cult then so would be almost all religions.

9. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

It's pretty blase to talk about something that you don't even have firsthand knowledge about. Is Jehovah's Witness really a cult? Who knows? For one only the members do. You're just spreading real propaganda hate right here but you don't know maybe the members really like it there and if they don't they could just leave it's not really up to us do whatever makes you happy, man.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I have close associations with Jehovah's Witnesses because 2 aunts of my husband's and also some cousins are Jehovah's Witnesses. It can be considered a cult in a sense because they want to be unique. Even in the propagation of their religion, what they use is the house to house campaign that is old fashioned. But it is a boring religion that is fit for lonely people only. They prohibit any celebration except baptism and wedding. So there's no birthday, no Christmas, anniversaries and any other occasion. Keep your money, no need to buy gifts.