Jihadi terrorists in Burkina Faso's capital take hostages

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by baudwalk, Jan 16, 2016.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

http://www.aib.bf/m-5053-probables-...-cours-au-coeur-de-la-capitale-burkinabe.html

This story, reported by the Burkina Information Agency (the country's press service) is the first glympse of a breaking story involving jihadi terrorists attacking the Splendid Hotel in the nation's capital this afternoon. Hostages were taken. The website is in French; use Google Translate if necessary. I haven't checked France 24 or the BBC yet, but I would expect these news sources to eventually carry the story.

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Burkina Faso is in the heart of Africa and from what I know, it is a progressive country. With that attack by jihadists, does that mean it is a prospect of the ISIS for its extended territory? There was an attack in Libya and ISIS has captured a small part of that country. This is not good news for us because the Islamic extremists might have a plan to conquer the entire world.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Terrorists again attack a place they expected tourists to be. 60 hostages have been freed. 20 have been confirmed dead but the nationalities of those who died haven't been revealed. Even though no place is safe anymore I think right now tourists should avoid traveling to Islamic countries and those who already are there ought to avoid places terrorists are most likely to target.

5. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Being anywhere is public seems to be a risk these days and while the police and authorities do what they can, there is always someone somewhere that knows something, but chooses to remain silent. These are the people (those who hide them and support them) who can prevent these incidents.

There have already been several of these attacks already, and hotels are a target because they allow anyone to come in and there are multiple exits.

6. petesede

petesede Guest

I am not a fan of this type of fear. the world is huge, there are like 7 billion people and probably millions of malls and shopping centers. Odds probably say that you are more likely to be struck by lightning than caught up in one of these events.

Remember why they are called terrorists. They win when the amount of terror and fear they create is greater than the amount of actual damage they can do, that is their whole game.. amplify their presence with fear.

7. phoenix2015

phoenix2015 Well-Known Member

This sort of thing seems to be happening all over the world. Unfortunately, I don't see an end to it anytime soon. Does anybody have any ideas on what can be done to help solve this problem with radical religious groups and their violence?

8. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I've always said that there needs to be some sort of psychological offensive with the aim of winning over the people these idiots are trying to recruit. If you eliminate their recruit base then that will be a huge blow to the groups. On the physical side there needs to be more of a presence in known terrorist hotspots that will be able to tackle them, and I'm thinking along the lines of Private Military Companies.

I have heard this morning that the siege in the hotel is over but another incident has started up in another hotel close by.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

An al-quade affiliate has already claimed responsability. And that was to be expected, Burkina Faso is neighbouring Mali where the French are fighting against these groups... so makes sense for them to retaliate somewhere close where the security isn't that tight.

10. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

As stories like these come out almost everyday, it's almost normal hearing a terrorist attack done somewhere in the world. Just days after an attack in Indonesia, now comes this. I just saw the news about the Burkina Faso attack and it's really another heart breaking one.