Journalist: Russia can turn U.S. to radioactive ash

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Gomer, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Gomer

Gomer Well-Known Member

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A Kremlin-backed journalist issued a stark warning to the United States about Moscow's nuclear capabilities on Sunday as the White House threatened sanctions over Crimea's referendum on union with Russia.

"Russia is the only country in the world that is realistically capable of turning the United States into radioactive ash," television presenter Dmitry Kiselyov said on his weekly current affairs show.

Behind him was a backdrop of a mushroom cloud following a nuclear blast.

Kiselyov was named by President Vladimir Putin in December as the head of a new state news agency whose task will be to portray Russia in the best possible light.

His remarks took a propaganda war over events in Ukraine to a new level as tensions rise in the East-West standoff over Crimea, a southern Ukrainian region which is now in Russian forces' hands and voted on Sunday on union with Russia.

Russian television showed images of ethnic Russians in Crimea dancing, singing and celebrating the referendum but followed them with accusations that Kiev's new authorities and the West have allowed ultra-nationalists to attack Russian-speakers in eastern Ukraine.

Kiev and the West blame the violence in eastern Ukraine on pro-Russian groups and say the Crimea referendum is illegitimate. The United States has warned of imminent sanctions against Moscow.

OUTSPOKEN COMMENTS

Kiselyov is an outspoken defender of Putin and once caused outrage by saying the organs of homosexuals should not be used in transplants.

His show portrayed the Ukrainian authorities as unable to maintain law and order. Putin made a similar charge in a telephone conversation with U.S. President Barack Obama on Sunday.

Such remarks have caused concern in Kiev that Moscow might send troops to eastern Ukraine, acting on a vote in Russian parliament allowing him to use the armed forces if compatriots are deemed in need of protection in Ukraine.

As the crisis escalated, the news in Russia has taken on shades of Soviet-era propaganda, with reporters peppering reports with references to what they say was the cooperation of some Ukrainians with the Nazis in World War Two.

There is also now growing menace in some of the reports, as well as echoes of the Cold War.

Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev gifted Crimea to Ukraine in 1954, when Ukraine and Russia were both parts of the Soviet Union.

Many people in Crimea hope union with Russia will bring better living conditions and make them citizens of a country capable of asserting itself on the world stage.

Others see the referendum as a land grab by the Kremlin as Ukraine's new rulers try to move the country towards the European Union and away from Russia's sway.

http://news.yahoo.com/russia-turn-u-radioactive-ash-kremlin-backed-journalist-223608042--sector.html

2. tintiano

tintiano New Member

This kind of language is extremely disturbing. It betrays an intent of warmongering, and not peace, which is the need of the hour. I am surprised at Russia's aggression. It almost feels like the situation in Georgia a couple of years ago, when Russia flexed its military muscle. It almost seems like Russia does not seem to be even remotely concerned about the image of itself that it is projecting to the rest of the world, which in the present case, is a very negative one. The actions of Russia at this sensitive time are very provocative to say the least.

3. DanAtrophy

DanAtrophy Member

The connotation that I'm perceiving from this article scares the pants out of me. I swear, smelling another world war should be on the rise and hopefully there will be no political thirst to acquire the control of more than it's own nation and to allow individual nations to thrive without any conflict between them.

4. HeinrichM

HeinrichM Active Member

Almost seem as if we have a new cold war on the horizon. Russian military installations and equipment has not been properly maintained over the last decade and Russia has been slow to replace aging vehicles and equipment. This news story is just another scare tactic in the Puttin arsenal and we can expect a lot more going forward. Still need to keep a close eye on it.

5. yossup

yossup Member

Honestly, it just seems like more fear-mongering to me. Russians and the Russian government just LOVE to do this all the time and the US has always called their bluff. I don't see this time being any different.

6. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

We've got a career community organizer and his motley crew of unqualified ideologue hacks "leading" us, and they've got an ex-KGB.

7. wanderingwildman

wanderingwildman Well-Known Member

I don't think this can possibly end well. WWIII seems impossible to avoid at this point. What are you guys doing with your investments? Even Warren Buffet is predicting another economic collapse.

8. Franco

Franco Member

And we can turn their country into a parking lot. The journalists point?

9. Annabell

Annabell Well-Known Member

What he doesn't realise, or at least doesn't seem to be saying is that within ten minutes of Russia launching their nukes, America would retaliate. Yes, Russia coul turn the US into ash. But then, America could do that to Russia just as quickly.

10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I hope and pray that we (Americans) do not get ourselves into another war, enough is enough already! The thought that Russia could do that much harm to the US is extremely scary. America is a strong country though and I have confidence that, if we even smelled or caught on that they were planning an attack, we would go after them and shut the operation down!