Kentucky Man Dies Of Snake Bite In Church

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Christians never have been invincible. Such a promise never was given to Christians. The Founder of the religion was murdered by the Romans. Should His followers expect there'll fare much better than their Master? Thousands of Christians have been martyred over the ages so anyone who thinks they'll do whatever they please and feel not the cold embrace of death, they're merely deluding themselves.

2. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

I'm pretty sure that Christians don't think that they are invincible. I agree with what you're saying, but the notion that someone would even have this thought in their head somewhat blows my mind.

3. AtlantaSports

Many Christians may not fear death because of the certainty that they have of where they are going, but there are still plenty that fear it. I fear it, and I am a Christian.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Many scholars contend that the text, the last part of Mark [which has that stuff about picking up serpents] was added long after the Gospel was written. If they are real Christians they at least ought to know that it's wrong to TEST GOD. Satan wanted Jesus to prove He was the Son of God but Jesus didn't need to. Christians in the same way should have faith that they are saved and they like Jesus shouldn't try to prove they are Christians. Their faith should adequate [proof].

5. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of fearing death as far as I see it, it's a matter of using common sense and accepting a treatment when it's offered to us, even more when it's a life and death situation.

6. AtlantaSports

Completely agree with that. I re-read the whole thing, and it was not a command statement, meaning that he meant it in a literary way. It was more of a metaphor. It wasn't a command statement. I feel like a lot of misguided Christians don't understand that.

7. AtlantaSports

Or just not playing with deadly animals in the first place.

8. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

Unbelievable! A little part of me though that this people wasn't real anymore... It's incredible how people still thinks that a magical and powerful force is going to save them from death, but sadly we see stories like this everyday, all the miraculous healing and stuff like that... Last week I read an article about two men who killed a baby for a human sacrifice in order to safe another kid, this is really sad for us as a society.

9. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I also saw this on TV before and it somehow puzzles me why they have been passing on snakes around people inside their assembly. They claim to be Christians but I just see it weird to have snakes around while having a service. I have always been a Christian but this kind of practice just doesn't seem to make sense for me at all.

10. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Sure, but accidents can happen. It's a two step situation, one he got bitten, now what can he do? Save himself or hold on to his faith?