Landlord's Response To Domestic Violence?

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Rainman, Mar 23, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

Most victims of domestic violence don't file complaints to authorities because they are made to think that they have been beaten for their faults. They usually blame themselves and cover up for their abuser. That is why they need extensive psychological intervention once they get out of an abusive relationship. I agree with the majority's suggestion of calling the cops to handle the situation rather than meddling in together with the landlord. The landlord and tenants should also consider their own safety because they are dealing with a violent person. The right authorities such as cops are trained to handle violent situations so it's better to leave it to them.

2. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I know in my home state one is supposed to call the police if there is reasonable belief that a domestic dispute is in progress. If I know my tenant was doing that to his wife, I'd let the law handle it. There is no good in getting involved yourself, but there is at least an ethical duty to let the law know and take it's course.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Landlords usually file a police report for domestic violence. If they knew their tenant (becoming a friend due to familiarity) the landlord would try to mediate and give advice on top of a warning for ejectment. But for new tenants, the landlord would immediately file for ejectment of the tenant. That also goes for violence that is critically dangerous like firing a gun or injuring a person that needed hospitalization.