Lease

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by dianethare, Aug 6, 2014.

1. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

A question Determined2014, if a tenant aims to end a lease agreement before time, will {s}he accord the landlord necessary notice before moving out? a probable reimbursement for inconvenience caused or?...anyway with the tenants i have housed so far, that is next to impossible :(...i guess it goes with respect one has for the other.

2. dianethare

Thanks again Kate, wrote down what you've said in your thread, word for word, after being hurtled from one side to the other, i can't afford making anymore mistakes, its just too costly and time- wasting.

3. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

:D I'm flattered, Diane, and you're welcome... but you should always get legal advice from an authorized person in your own country. I think I'm remembering that you're not in the U.S., so your legal system may be totally different, and things that anyone suggests here may not apply to your own laws.

4. dianethare

I actually want to visit the rent tribunal, gather some advice, facts anything that will make/help me from falling through the cracks. Thanks for the timely advice, i greatly appreciate :).

5. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

I have a lease for two years that I signed when I moved into my rental place. The landlord told me that we would review the Lease when the two years were done. He promised that the rent would remain the same if I chose to continue living there. I think the lease should be based on the agreement between the landlord and their tenant.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

It's up to the landlord, though local laws will most likely limit the allowed lenght. As a landlord, I'd go with the regular 1 year lease, this way each year you have the opportunity to change the rent if you feel it's necessary.

But in the end it's not that important as both parties can cancel the agreement at any point. (with a valid reason and a notice period)

7. dianethare

..and how are you finding the whole experience like Muthoni?...is the Landlord abiding by the lease you two agreed on?

8. dianethare

I half agree with you on the last sentence there crimsonghost747...we had agreed with this deadbeat tenant that he'd stay for three months whilst paying rent and he agreed at first...then later on changed his mind and started demanding for his deposit refund...so in a nutshell, he canceled the agreement without my agreeing to it...kind of confusing...anyway that is in the past...was just raising a point here in that regard.

9. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

A lease is a long term rental agreement, which normally lasts for over a year. During this time, there is no option for renewal, renewal ( if so decided by both the parties) takes place after the lease has ended, If anyone ends the lease prematurely, the other parties or the injured party, may be able to sue for compensation, and in the case of a Tenant, for specific performance. It is not allow for a Landlord to evict a Tenant without proper reason,if he does this, he may be criminally liable. There are several legal reasons that I Landlord can posit for evicting a Tenant, the main reason being for non-payment of rent. After all is said and done, an eviction may not even be possible without due notice to the Tenant.
    All the best!

10. dianethare

Thank you for fully clarifying the matter and for the great advice within :)