Limited Freedom for Journalists

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by ForceofXero, May 18, 2014.

1. ForceofXero

ForceofXero Member

2. scissorhands

scissorhands Member

The majority of people including myself thought that journalists did have the choice to choose what kind of stories they did but l see now that that is not the case, l suppose the boss does not want it's staff covering things that could be very sensitive or covering something that could rally the people.

3. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarie Active Member

I am a journalism major at Georgia State University. It is crazy how many rules and guidelines we have to follow in order to put out news. By the time we get done following guidelines, the whole story does not seem the same. It is as if the system is put in forth to keep people in the dark.

4. Abqu

Abqu Well-Known Member

It's just a different world now than it was. I don't think these journalists have less ability to write what they want. Rather, the broad topics are chosen for them by higher ups. It's probably also a symptom of having so many freelancers as opposed to staff writers.

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

The current admin is well known for influencing the media via such tactics as threats and intimidation.

6. ash2014uk

ash2014uk Well-Known Member

I believe that papers are affected and it wouldn't shock me. Why would politicians want bad stories coming out which could affect them or the political party. However, with blogs and twitter starting to become bigger and bigger, journalists can use other sorts of outlets to help make sure we know the truth.

7. TomEthi

TomEthi Member

I believe journalists need people to help them find a direction in their career. If a journalist can go on whatever idea or topic story they'd like, it could be a very complicated and nasty disaster. You need to think about the overall picture. Without news centers and media outlets there wouldn't be much general journalism. In order for those to sustain, you need to listen to them. Following their guidelines now, and yours while in college, is good experience for your future stories. It helps you to cut down on the fluff and get straight to the story at hand, leaving time for even more stories.

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

The US media as a whole has become a corrupt joke.

9. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

That is very true, not many journalists have full freedom, they have so many restrictions, meaning we barely get true stories of what is really going on in the world.

10. preyy

preyy Well-Known Member

^^ Implying the fact that this is surprising news to be heard. We're all brainwashed in a way or another and we can't really do much about it but to protect ourselves of the upcoming lies that are soon to come, no further commentaries need to be added. Oh, by the way, elections are on their way!