Make Valentine's day go away

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rosyrain, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I wish the whole concept of Valentine's Day would just go away. My other half and I have made a conscious choice to never purchase each other a gift. It is the most annoying holiday ever. What are your thoughts?

2. Troponin

Troponin Guest

I agree with you completely. Of the 12 years my wife and I have been married, I have only gotten her a Vday gift a couple times. I try to do things for her through out the year, which says so much more than when someone is trying to pressure you in to it. It's also crappy that prices on flowers etc are almost tripled during Vday.

3. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

I am not sure what the issue is. If you agree not to buy things, then you don't. If you want to, you can. Most people go for maybe some chocolate or a few flowers, nothing to break the bank. But I have friends who do it either way. I don't know anyone who feels they need to get something expensive.

4. Troponin

Troponin Guest

IMO, it's the pressure that society (mostly men) feel that they have to do something special, or they are seen as heartless a-holes. As we get older, some of us learn more and more that we should do what we feel is best, however, as young a young man, I certainly felt the pressure to buy stuff etc.

5. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that annoying but I do think it's totally unnecessary and pagan. People don't even question what they're doing they just do what they're taught. There shouldn't be a set day out of the year when your significant other gets you gifts like they're obligated to.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I never bother with valentines day, just like I don't bother with most special days. It's just not my thing.
    I've also got this lovely lovely picture that I just feel I need to leave here since we are talking about valentines day.

[​IMG]

7. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

My partners Birthday is very close to Valentines day. I could agree with you, except she really likes valentines and it brings her happiness. I'm not a big holiday guy anyways I could care less about most of them.
    But I do know some people who really like it, and it's good for the economy as well.
    So I will have to disagree, I say keep it. If you don't like it then ignore it, but don't try to ruin the fun for others.

8. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I hate Valentine's not because it has been over-commercialized but because it's the day I lost someone who was very close to me. So each Valentine's even though I want to forget the past, when I see people going round holding hands, giving each other gifts, I can't help but think about my loss. Every year.

9. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I just ignore it, but appreciate for some people it helps to revive a relationship. It is too commercial and is just another marketing ploy for people to buy gifts. People should buy them for others regardless of the day because they want to and not because society dictates.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Valentine's day for me is just a way for stores to make a bit more money than usual, and that's the main reason we don't, and never have celebrated it.

Birthdays and anniversaries are more important to us, and always will be. We don't have to declare to the world our relationship, just because external forces say it's the right thing to do.