Market Level Predicted A Few Months Ago

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by ParmMannTrader, Aug 24, 2014.

1. ParmMannTrader

ParmMannTrader Active Member

It seems like a lifetime ago when the markets were in a state of panic and despair. We all remember the historic market crash of 2008, when bulls of the SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust (NYSEARCA:SPY) were running for the hills and no one wanted to go long again. After weeks and months of red on the ticker, the markets, and S&P 500 in particular found a low of 666.79 in March 2009 (which Nick called perfectly by the way). Since that low was put in the markets have been on a steady rise higher.

The S&P 500 had such a tremendous climb, that it managed to gain an astonishing 105% (704 points) in just 3 years! That is pretty incredible for any individual stock to accomplish such a feat, but for an index to do that, is almost unheard of. After the bulls of the SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust (NYSEARCA:SPY) were up triple digits in percentage terms, that is when the S&P 500 suffered a viscous and much needed correction; declining 21.5% (296 points) from 1370.58 to a low of 1074.77 on October 4, 2011.

Since that October low the S&P 500 has been back on the steady path higher. It blew past the October 2007 high of 1576.09 and seems to be making new all time highs on a daily basis. The S&P 500 seems to have the 2000 level in its cross hairs. In fact if the market keeps climbing to 2000.37 to be exact, it will be up 200% from the lows in March 2009. What I find interesting is that the S&P 500 is nearing the second century of gains in percentage terms. If this feat is attained, we might be in store for a much needed correction, kind of like the one we received in the summer of 2011. With that being said, the SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust (NYSEARCA:SPY) bulls appear ready to party all the way to 1999.

For live market insight, chart setups that take advantage of the market moves and real trades when we initiate them... come step inside the Elite Round Table and enter profitable trades, with the proven Pro's. We look forward to having you join us as we navigate the markets and make money!

Parm Mann
    Elite Round Table
    Follow me on twitter: @ParmMannTrader

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  2. allswl

allswl Member

Well today the S&P 500 flew to an intraday record, going over the 2000 mark for a brief period. This was mainly due to rumours swirling of a pending European Central Bank stimulus and also U.S. stocks receiving a boost from deal activity. So its likely that the S&P 500 will go further in the near future, especially if the predictions about a European Stimulus turns out to be true.

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

If we get a sudden spike in interest rates or a sharp halt or reversal in corporate earnings trends, I'd expect a correction to likely follow.

4. BabyBear

BabyBear Active Member

Feels a little frothy here. There still needs to be a catalyst, but if one comes, it feels like a quick correction is in order. I've just gone net short, so my money is where my mouth is, lol.

5. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Well-Known Member

The S&P has hit 2000 however I don't think that means it will lead to a major correction. It seems that the market does seem to sometimes correct when it reaches a milestone such as when it will reach 200% but that is normally a very short correction and normally it does not seem to lead to a longer term major correction.